Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Should I Get a Benevente or Elrick?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SirFunk, Aug 1, 2005.

1. SirFunk

SirFunk

May 24, 2001
    Lincoln, NE
    Hi there,

So.. I'm ready to buy my first "high end" bass guitar. The problem is, I live in the middle of nowhere, so I can't really try any out. As for the sound I want.. I do a lot of funky/jazzy/hiphoppy/jambandish kinda music..

Here's the two basses I'm looking at (nobody buy them before i do! :D )

http://www.gguitars.com/be50031.html
    http://www.bassnw.com/Used Basses/elrick_platinum_series_e_volution_Hybrid_5_st.htm

I want good punchy fat lowend and a clean high end.

Anyone played similar basses to these? Or familiar with the stores, etc?

My Guess is the Elrick has a fatter punchier tone.. while the Benevente has a more vintage tone with better highs.

Oh, and anyone familiar with the fingerboard radii of these? That's a big thing for me... My carvin has a nearly flat fingerboard and I HATE it...

Thanks for any info.

2. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    The Elrick definitely has the nice phat low end but IMO not the clean high end. The Elrick Standard 5 that I owned had bit of a boost in the mids. It did cut through a live mix very well though. I'm not sure about the radii of the Elrick fingerboard but I remember it being fairly flat. The string spacing on the Elrick is great for slapping (3/4").
    I've not played a Benevente bass so I can't really comment on them. You may also want to check out a Roscoe SKB with the Demeter pre. Great smooth lows and glassy highs. Roscoe's also have a great feeling neck. The string spacing is slightly narrower on the Roscoe (11/16").

3. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Hi!
    First off, the radius on the Elrick should be 12"- that's his standard on five-strings. The Benavente looks like it's between 12" and 16" but I'm not sure- email Chris Benavente or Brian Barrett of thelowend.net to find out for sure. Carvin uses about a 20" radius, so these should be a good deal more round.

I can't be too specific about the Benavente as I haven't played it, but I would imagine it has a more aggressive, J-bass like tone to it than the Elrick due to the single coils and bolt-on neck. It's got the classic alder/rosewood wood combo though, so it shouldn't be as aggressive or bright as an ash/maple type combo. It's been up for sale at GGuitars for a long while now, so you stand a good chance of talking the price down a bit.

I own a few Elricks and one with very similar specs to that one. Mine's a six-string, and it also has a mahogany body (which are uncommon for Elricks), maple neck, maple burl top, Bart soapbars and preamp, and alder tone block. Mine has a cocobolo fretboard, which is qutie similar to rosewood IME. Elricks generally have a fantastic high-end...clear, but not brittle. My mahogany Elrick has the same clear top end, but it's a little more round and warm than my ash Elrick. The general tone is punchy and "centered"- by that I mean not super warm and round, and not super hi-fi. Elricks in general are pretty articulate basses...I think the mahogany adds a little more subtlety to it, along with having a nice eveness across the strings. All my Es have a great low-end....I'm sure that Benavente has one as well. The Elrick will balance great- I can tell you that- and I imagine will weigh ~8-9lbs. I have a couple soundclips of mine if you'd like to hear them.

Both of the stores are well-known and reputable. Both have been quick and kind in their email exchanges with me. Either way I'm sure you'll end up with a great high-quality bass.

4. fraublugher

fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    wow it's like ALI vs. Frazier.

5. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Dropping a Demeter preamp in the Elrick would make it much more transparent sounding and open. The Bart pre is darker and more compressed. Rob Elrick also offers the Aguilar obp-3 preamp as a direct replacement in his basses and that'll be more open sounding than the Bart pre as well. I prefer the Demeter, especially with Bart pickups.

I've not played a Benevente but I hear they have a lot of high end.