1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Should I get a better amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SuperBassSam, Apr 12, 2009.

1. SuperBassSam

SuperBassSam

Feb 9, 2009
    Dorset, UK
    Hi all,

I was wondering, I play an Ibanez SR500 through a Laney RB6 and our band has recently really begun to pick up in terms of listenability (is that a word!?). We are a three piece, playing some Satch and stuff and plan to eventually get another guitarist.

Since this is my first bass setup, I'm not really sure whether the amp is a good one or not - from what I've heard it seems like its not. The bass is really comfortable for me so I'm not really considering upgrading that, but I've recently come into a bit of money and was wondering whether it would be worth perhaps getting an Ampeg combo or perhaps a small stack - maybe an Ashdown head with a 2 x 10 cab or something.

I suppose really what I'm saying is, even though I haven't really been playing for that long, if I have the money and nothing else to spend it on, should I get a new amp?

Thanks for reading

2. VisualShock

VisualShock

Feb 19, 2008
    North Wales
    If you're thinking of the ashdown MAG 2x10, it's a great option, especially as it has the option to put another cab underneath it (i'd recoment the MAG 1x15)

I was looking at it for a while, but my situation has changed...
    It looks to be a very good amp!

3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I love amps, so yeah, if I had some spare money, that's what I'd do. You should probably do some research first, then hit the stores and play everything they have. Decide later, after you have the first hand expirience, and have fun with the process.

4. Snakeman1066

Snakeman1066 Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2007
    Central Valley
    it always better to be overpowered than underpowered IMHO