1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Should i get a carvin sb4000 or a skyline 44-60?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Nicolay3535, Nov 25, 2010.

1. Nicolay3535

Nicolay3535

Sep 16, 2010
    South Florida
    I want a scooped Marcus miller slap tone, so I'm going for ass with a maple board. Help please!

2. Hans Gruber

Hans Gruber

Jun 18, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Get a Fedora!

3. Hans Gruber

Hans Gruber

Jun 18, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Actually, I bet the Carvin with it's J pickups and active pre will get closest to your desired sound.

4. major10th

major10th

Aug 8, 2010
    I've never played the SB4000, but those flared out horns are a deal breaker IMO.

5. To be honest, Carvin builds very good Basses, but I really don't like the Look of the SB Basses. Ugly for my Taste. So my Choice would be the Lakland. Sounds good, Looks good. Grat Basses all the Way.

6. Reggiep

Reggiep

Mar 18, 2004
    Michigan
    Get the SB4000, You won't be disappointed!

7. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Have only played 55-01/02, nice but the build quality on the Carvin is flat out superior. SB series may have a polarizing look but they kill for playability and modern jazz tone.

8. blmeier7

blmeier7

May 7, 2006
    Amarillo, TX
    The SB4000 would be superior in construction, although the skylines aren't bad either. You would also get closer to the Marcus Miller tone from the ash/maple SB4000.

9. Dub56

Dub56 Supporting Member

May 28, 2005
    D.C.
    I'll add in that I own a Lakland 44-60 and the build quality, playability, and sound is incredible. I'm not sure where the accounts of Carvins being inherently better in construction are coming from, the construction of any Lakland bass I've played has been VERY solid.

BUT,

For the tone you're describing, I'd go with the Carvin. I can get my Lakland to sound like that, but for the most part it doesn't have a scooped sound at all. It's a bit more mid-rich than a 70's Fender type of sound, and I believe the 44-60's have 60's pickup spacing, not 70's.

I think the active preamp and J99a's in the Carvin would do that tone perfectly for you.

10. Carvin, without a doubt. It is based on a 70's jazz, it's made in USA and less expensive.

11. You can play a hat? :D

I vote for the Carvin. Awesome quality.

12. Adam Wright

Adam Wright Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2002
    Arlington,Tx
    GHS Strings, 64 Audio in-ears, Mayones Basses
    Carvin

13. paganjack

paganjack

Dec 25, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Me too! :D

14. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Interesting query, and I'm in a similar situation.

I'll add a question...what about a Skyline 44-01, then replace the pickups with Nordstrand Big Singles and a nice pre? That would cost about the same as the Carvin, but the Carvin still gets the nod for superior/USA construction....plus it does not need a pickup swap.

I guess I'm just curious about how big singles would sound in a 44-01.

15. Hans Gruber

Hans Gruber

Jun 18, 2003
    Los Angeles
    I have a Nordy with Big Singles. Great pickup but it's not that 70s Marcus sound you want. IMO. The 44-01 with Big Singles would sound great but it'd be a different sound.

I think the Skylines have great construction even though they aren't MIA.

I personally like Skylines over Carvin, but as many say here, for that Marcus sound, the SB would work well. I've owned the JO4 (a few of them) and played the SB5000. I can say sonically, the SB is closer to the "Marcus" sound you'd want.

Also I do like their unique twist on the J Bass. SB is the best Carvin bass yet, IMO.

16. Hans Gruber

Hans Gruber

Jun 18, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Yeah, Anthony Jackson does, too.

17. fourfinger

fourfinger Gold Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2003
    Central Ohio
    This might help...

It's a fiver though.

18. That is the video that sold me on ordering my SB5000 :cool:

19. Ed Friedland did a video as well just recently on the SB5000. Sounds awesome.

20. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Comin' right up!

indianajones-fedora.

MM