Should I get a Daisy Rock Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by melissaenault, Mar 10, 2010.

1. melissaenault

melissaenault

Mar 10, 2010
    Im a girl who just started playing the bass, I borrowed one from my brother in-law to learn and now I am ready to buy my first bass. I haven't seen many reviews on any of the Daisy Rock Bass' but from what I see I think the slim neck and light weight body would be perfect for me! Has anyone had any experience with Daisy Rock?

2. Make sure you check out Luna basses, they're designed with women in mind, but are great all-around basses. Their new Paz signature is really nice.

3. becker4567

becker4567

Jul 26, 2008
    I just had this discussion with my niece, and here is my take on it. NO, don't get the Daisy Rock for this reason. When you get pretty good (and you will) you will want to join a band or a band will see your awesome talent and ask you to join them.......however.......you will need a bass that shows some seriousness about the instrument and music, and anything shaped like a flower or is sparkly pink or has girly stickers on it will not get you the respect that you deserve. There are some good, beginner short scale basses with slim necks and smaller bodies at Rondomusic.com, or a Mustang bass (which Tina Weymoth of Talking Heads used extensively) or a Fender Bronco bass are good, inexpensive choices. Don't get me wrong, the Daisy Rock is a pretty good bass, but if you are serious about bass, get something that is more than a toy and something that can help you for the next few years. Just my 2 cents worth!

4. I would say buy the Daisy Rock if you like it.......BUT!! Keep what becker mentioned above regarding playing it in a bad setting. While you're learning on the Daisy, keep an eye out and try some pro basses, save your money and buy a good user when you're ready.

5. hachi kid

hachi kid

Jun 2, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I can't say I can agree with what Becker's reasoning. But, I agree with him on the "no" part. Thing is, if you can play well, they won't give a crap about what your bass looks like. I believe your instrument is a personal thing, and if you like the look of it, then that's that. Where it matters in a band situation is how well you can play it. I would say no to the Daisy line up because of the poor quality. I would take a look at the Ibanez starter basses, and look at some replacement pickups. I still have my Ibanez starter bass from 9 years ago when I started playing, and although it's undergone some serious modification, it's been an absolute TANK! This thing is a workhorse, and it's been a very great instrument to me. I'm just now looking at getting a bass that has what I want (Warmoth build coming up), but I can't recommend Ibanez enough. It has a nice Jazz bass style neck, Fender style string spacing, and it's relatively light weight, too. If you don't have oodles of money to buy gear with, they make some great instruments that will definitely be right by your side as you grow as a player. I can't say the same about Daisy Rock or any of those other Wal Mart guitars...

6. Daisy Rocks are solid basses.

they aren't "Wal Mart guitars", they're made by Schecter and are just as good as any Schecter bass you'd find in the same price range.

you'll probably catch a lot of crap from the elitists here who play $5000 basses, but get what you like and what you want.

Webtroll and DebbieDoesBass like this.
  7. mccartneyman

mccartneyman

Dec 22, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Managing Editor, Bass Guitars Editor, MusicGearReview.com
    Daisy Rock basses aren't shaped like flowers or hearts or stars or anything other than "standard" shape. They do have "girly" colors like purple and pink, but I've seen some pretty "girly" colors on some "manly" basses right here on TB. I haven't played these, but I do know Daisy Rock won a Best in Show award at Winter NAMM 2010. Best thing to do is play one if you can. If you're a beginner, take a player with you and ask their opinion. If it plays well, sounds good and you like it, buy it.

8. First, let me congratulate you on your excellent taste in instruments. The world has too few talented female bassists. If it feeds something in you, then awesome, may you play for many years and have tons of fun (along with the challenges).
    Now, to offer one answer to your question:
    Some basses are identified as "metal" basses, some as "funk," even a few labelled as "country," and you find bassists of all calibers (and either sex) using them. But I can't think of a single female bassist who plays an instrument that's deliberately identified as a "girl's" bass. They play what is most responsive to them and their style/genre. I advise thinking very deliberately before committing yourself (and your reputation) to an instrument so labeled. If size or weight are important factors for you, there are lots of options available to address that (including short scale and/or hollowbody or basswood...). Any decent bass can have its action fine-tuned to your needs.
    That said, you might not feel comfortable playing one of those instruments that were designed with the psyche of a 14 year old boy in mind... but neither would I. I've always stuck with the passive 4 string P or P/J format and it's always done the job (as well as fitting in with almost any genre).
    Most of all, have fun!

9. JohnnyB53

JohnnyB53

Nov 1, 2009
    I think the Stardust Elite is a very cool-looking bass, and I've thought about getting one for myself. I know guys who've spent thousands for custom-shop Hamer USA 32" scale Specials that looks a lot like this, albeit without the purple and pearl.

[​IMG]

Mahogany set neck and humbuckers, 32" scale, matching headstock, and built by Schecter. A good value at $329.

10. Oric

Oric

Feb 19, 2008
    Lexington, Kentucky
    I am a man with a beard who wears plaid and I would play this one.

11. ...you say that you would, but you don't, do you?
    :bag:

12. becker4567

becker4567

Jul 26, 2008
    OOPS! First, let me say that, obviously, I'm a bit out of touch with Daisy Rock basses. I haven't had the need to check them out for a number of years, so my opinion is dated, to say the least. Let me just say that, like mccartneyman sez, if it plays well and you like it, then by all means get one. It is your bass and thus a reflection of you, and if your confident with it, it will show through in your playing. Welcome to the club!

DebbieDoesBass likes this.
  13. levis76

levis76 Defender of the Low Ender

Apr 14, 2007
    Metro Detroit
    WRONG

[​IMG]

+1 on checking out some Ibanez basses.

14. levis76

levis76 Defender of the Low Ender

Apr 14, 2007
    Metro Detroit
    and again...

[​IMG]

15. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I'm going to say "no" because while Daisy Rock does have standard shape basses their reputation is that they make those girly star and heart basses, so when you want to upgrade you'll have a fairly hard time trying to sell it.

16. Demonator

Demonator

Jun 14, 2009
    L.J. Kentucky
    Dean Street Team
    Check out Luna. They are a brand of Dean, and we all know that Dean = WIN.

17. Yakob

Yakob

Nov 15, 2009
    Philadelphia, PA
    Then again, the guy from Dinosaur Jr rocked a flower bass in a video ;).

That being said, I'd recommend Squier as a first. The Classic Vibe and Vintage Modified basses are grade-A, as are the Artist Series basses. I'd recommend any of them. They're all pretty light and manageable, and they sound excellent...

18. mccartneyman

mccartneyman

Dec 22, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Managing Editor, Bass Guitars Editor, MusicGearReview.com
  19. gttim

gttim

Dec 12, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Cause no serious bassist would ever play a star shaped bass or wear star shaped sun glasses!

4424103278_b3ee45e5ac_o.png

20. praisebass

praisebass

Aug 20, 2009
    Missouri
    OK, I'm a 6'3" guy and I don't play a Daisy - although thought of getting one for my daughter (she likes pink things) - the ones I've seen and played were fine - HOWEVER - I must say that my wife prefers to play a Fender J Bass. Also, a good friend of ours who played bass professionally for a number of years is a very petite woman and her main axe has been an Oly White Mexican P bass. Welcome to the club and pick any bass you can afford.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 13, 2021