Should I Get a DI Box?

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by Groovy_Gravy, Apr 29, 2012.

1. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I was going to say the same thing. So from now on, just do what T-bird AND Lo-e say. You'll be fine.

2. Jwood

Jwood Supporting Member

Jan 20, 2011
    Richmond, Va
    If your amp takes a dump and stops working will the signal still travel trough to the PA?

3. Keithwah

Keithwah

Jan 7, 2011
    Milwaukee WI
    Yes it will, once you put the direct box in the proper place in the signal chain. Without getting into the age old argument regarding putting the DI after your amp, for those that are truly convinced that the EQ they are applying to their stage sound really is the right thing to do to the house sound, just unplug your bass signal from going into the amp and plug and go straight into the DI.

But this brings me to another sound guy vs. musician rant, YOU ALL NEED TO GO OUT AND BUY AT LEAST A $30 DIRECT BOX! Quality be damned, just at least everybody that doesn't have one, whether you have the "I must have a mic on my bass rig" stick up the butt or not. Go earn $30 doing what ever you need to do and at least buy a basic one. It is a tool. It is not the answer. You bring an extension cable for AC power whether you need it or not don't you? That is all a DI Has to be.

It amazes me the amount of keyboard players, bassists, and acoustic players don't own these!!!! How did you think you were getting into the PA? You need a DI! Go friggin' buy one! Sure a self respecting sound guy will have a handful of these. But a DI is part of your responsibility as a professional musician to have on hand. What if you get to the gig and find out the guy only has one DI? And you have both an acoustic player and a keyboard player. Who wins the DI prize? I bet it's not the guy that brought an amp with him. Buy one and then go and berate your acoustic player and your keyboard player. If you want to be a professional touring musician, be prepared!

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 25, 2021