1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Should i get a Fender MIA std P bass for my 1st "pro" bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by boristhespider7, May 10, 2010.

1. I use(d) flats on both. I'm not the kind of guy that can give you a 2 page dissertation on the tone, but they both sound like P basses to me. The classic thumpy sound.

2. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    Yes.
    And it may just be the last "Pro" bass you'll ever need! :)

3. Rilander

Rilander

Apr 13, 2010
    Tampa Florida
    i just got an '09 american standard p bass lefty. and it's hands down the best bass i have ever played

pbasss001.

Course i immediately swapped out the pickguard with a tortoise shell one. this bass sounds amazing. it has the meanest growl to it. i know most people say that the J-Basses have more of a growl to them but this bass HAS A GROWL~! very tough sounding bass. it plays like a dream too. it did need a setup though. but when i got it setup it was perfect.

4. The answer to your question is: Yes.
    My MIA Precision was my first serious bass and, many years and many other basses later, it's still the only bass I really need. (Don't tell my wife.)

5. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    the highway one is the first new (non vintage) bass i have owned and i could not be happier
    but then again it has everything i wanted (rw, baII, vintage pu, nitro, free gig bag) with the money i saved i am going to buy a second bass and leave it at my girlfriend's house, probably a danelectro or an epi

6. Mmmmmm

mia P. I'm sweating.

Stay true, stay with flats.

7. MK1

MK1

Nov 23, 2009
    Grand Rapids, MI
    I loved my P (2008), but the neck was just too thick for me (I have small hands), but you already use a StingRay which is a similar profile. When I sold my P I got a Highway 1 Jazz and the Highway 1s are every bit as good as the American Standards (I used Flats on Both). Make sure you get the updated version though. They have the same body, the same neck as the American Standard (graphite reinforced), the only difference is the color, and they have a BAII bridge. I always change the pickups out in Fenders (I rarely like the ones they use) so the difference in the pickups between the two wasn't an issue for me. And if you don't like the "Grease Bucket" tone knob, thats a simple $2 fix (just take out the caps that are in there and replace them with an Orange Drop) the electronic components they use for the Highway 1 is the same as the American Standard (other than the Pickups). Remember they both have same body and neck and they're made in the same factory, the Highway1 is just painted somewhere else.

8. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:

I've been a P-Bass nut since 1972.
    I have owned and sold over 60 Fender basses.
    The old ones are great, and they cost a lot of money.
    The 2008 MIA P-Basses, are as good as any Fender has made since
    the early 70's.
    Let me put it this was.
    I have a USA Lakland Glaub on order. (Sweet, high end bass)
    But a still gas for a MIA P-bass. (Soon)

9. boristhespider7

boristhespider7

Jan 27, 2008
    UK
    That sure does look cool...personally i'm not considering a 50's classic though as i find the knecks just too thick for my liking

10. boristhespider7

boristhespider7

Jan 27, 2008
    UK
    Again, wouldn't really consider a Highway 1 as i'm really after a maple kneck, but from what i've heard the H1's are great basses

11. boristhespider7

boristhespider7

Jan 27, 2008
    UK
    Yep, EB SUB is a good bass IMO and yep, i'm always gassing for a new bass!

Also finally want a bass where the manufacturer hasn't skimped on the paint job, woods or labour to keep the cost down. I can get a great tone from my EB but the finish is definatley "functional" to put it nicely. They've also skimped on the PU and wood used. Having said that it nails that stingray tone IMO. If i had the cash i'd keep the EB and get a P bass as well but needs must!

12. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Yes. Do it, and dont look back.

I love my P to death!

13. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast Banned

I started out with active, dual pickup basses, and now most of my playing is done on a CIJ Capri Orange P. While I could swap out the pickups, and hardware, it's a damn great bass as it is. You can't go wrong with a P bass, period. You might want to look at a P/J or the American Deluxe series with the humbucking bridge pickup, as they offer even greater tonal flexibility.

14. blockinlay

blockinlay

Feb 21, 2009
    Phila Pa
    Take the Ernie Ball SUB and trade up for a good used Fender Precision American Standard.

15. Osprey

Osprey

Jun 20, 2005
    UK
    You've got to have a good P bass. It's like passing your first degree or your driving test or your flying licence or meeting your first real girlfriend or having your first child. (OK. these aren't in chronological order). It's the measuring rod and the gold standard. It's growing up. You may play a different bass most of the time ( I'm having an affair with a wonderful Status bass with J pickups and a graphite neck just now) but you need to know where your roots are.

16. boristhespider7

boristhespider7

Jan 27, 2008
    UK
    Exactly...thats what i'm thinking!

17. Osprey

Osprey

Jun 20, 2005
    UK
    Boris old boy..I hadn't spotted you were in the UK. I don't take back a syllable of what I said about P basses, but have a look some time at Status. Made in Essex and just now they build very high quality kit with fancy wood, top electronics and world-beating graphite necks. But the used price of great Status basses can be absurd: a great player like mine goes for under 400 quid and for twice that you get a masterpiece. And a graphite neck give you sustain and feel you can't beat. These US guys have to import them and there aren't a lot about but here's an ace product you and I can get locally.

18. Ray34

Ray34

Apr 30, 2010
    I don't have much to add, except to say that I am drooling at the idea of a Jam tribute band. I'd love to rip "In The City" just once instead of "Brown Eyed F*****g Girl".

I will say that I was in the market for a new bass a few months ago, and spent a lot of time at varoius shops noodling around on a lot of basses. But when I picked up the Sterling by MM Ray34, I knew right away it was for me. It's worth a look.

19. Engine207

Engine207 Losing faith in humanity...one call at a time.

Jul 10, 2008
    Higley, AZ
    Answer 1: Yes. You are describing a P-Bass to a tee.

Answer 2: This. They are list priced at $1499, but can be had new for around $1125, or used for about $1000. If I'd never held one of these in my hands and drooled at the finish, craftsmanship of build and perfect neck, I'd be perfectly happy with a nice '08 MiA Precision. A word of warning, though: few who ever stray to those basses ever come back...

20. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    No. American Deluxe Jazz Bass. 1,000 times more versatile.