1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Should i get a Fender MIA std P bass for my 1st "pro" bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by boristhespider7, May 10, 2010.

1. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

I own a lot of basses and almost always start a gig with a Stingray, Benavente, Gibson, Roscoe, Sadowsky, etc.... or whatever my latest GAS inspired acquisition is.

At some point during the 3rd or 4th set, I always pull out one of my trusty Fender MIA P basses (my 1974 or 2008, doesn't matter) to down tune to C for one song we play.... and after the song... I almost ALWAYS tune the P to 440 and finish off the gig with it.

IMO every gigging and recording bassist should own a P bass (G&L, Sadowsky, Avella Coppola, etc. with a split coil P P/U works too).

I love Jazz basses and many others, but a P is just a great bass to own IMO.

2. Double Agent

Double Agent

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    Sure, it's a great first "pro" bass. If it has the sound and feel you are looking for, why not? It's a great bass to start a collection with and, even if it someday isn't your #1 anymore, you'll always have a use for it at some point.

3. boristhespider7

boristhespider7

Jan 27, 2008
    UK
    I've no doubt that's true, just take MarloweDK on youtube for example, that guy can make anything sound funky
    http://www.youtube.com/user/MarloweDK
    But i've never seen a bass player that i've admired play a Squier etc as their gigging bass. Why is that?

BTW, i have a friend with a Vintage modified squier P bass and he gets some great P tones from it, so i'm not knocking it as a bass

4. boristhespider7

boristhespider7

Jan 27, 2008
    UK
    LOL, or "mustang sally" i know what you mean!

5. boristhespider7

boristhespider7

Jan 27, 2008
    UK
    Actually i wouldn't consider a Highway 1 or 50's P or a Jazz but i might be tempted by a P special. Not because of the J PU but because of the kneck. A jazz kneck on a p bass would be sweet.

6. boristhespider7

boristhespider7

Jan 27, 2008
    UK
    Thanks for the advice. I'm familiar with status basses. I know Guy Pratt (Pink Floyd) and many other pro's play them. There's just some simplicity and vintage appeal about a P bass. I'm sure a status graphite would be so much more versatile, but it's that P sound i'm after i think

7. precision punk

precision punk

Mar 15, 2009
    I own both a Highway one and a 08 american standard p. I prefer my Highway one to the MIA standard in terms of feel and tone. To me the Highway sounds more full and thumpy and the MIA standard sounds more Hi-Fi. The neck on the Highway one seems a bit more thin also compared to my MIA standard. Both have rosewood fretboards also.

8. That is one thing I was a little surprised at when I played some MIA's today. The tone sounded very... "modern". Not bad, it actually was phenominal, just not what I was expecting.

9. boristhespider7

boristhespider7

Jan 27, 2008
    UK
    That's interesting! Anyone else get that?

Is the kneck thinner in terms of depth (ie. shallower D shape) or fretboard width or both? That would be a plus for me for H1, just really want a maple kneck though....if H1's had a maple option i'd be pursuaded