Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

should I get a Kustom groove bass?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by clanner, Sep 15, 2005.

1. clanner

clanner Token Black Guy.

Apr 27, 2005
    ummmmm, marietta GA
    I'm looking for a new amp to keep at my band practice area, and I'me thinking about the kustom groove bass 1200 HD amplifier, the Kustom Groove Bass 215h speaker Cab, and the Kustom Groove Bass 410 speaker cab, I can prder them all new for about $1300.00 usd. I played through one of their combo's at a band search (we were an example of the talent they already had) and really liked the sound and lay-out

what do you think? should I buy?

2. The Clap

The Clap

Jan 5, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    The head is great for the money, I have one and wholly recommend it. I don't know about the cabinets though, I haven't used them, and I would personally go for smaller, more manageable speakers than a 4x10 and 2x15. I play loud rock gigs with a 2x10 and a single 15 with great results; The Groovebass provides enough wattage for clear sound at very high levels and I've found I can get away with fewer speakers thanks to the increase in wattage over 300-400W heads.

3. clanner

clanner Token Black Guy.

Apr 27, 2005
    ummmmm, marietta GA
    I just wanted to make sure I would have a full package, i usually leave everything flat and I'm using a 1x15 combo at 100 watts, looking for something new so I don't have to bring my amp back and fourth from my guitarists house, and so I can actually hear myself without risking damaging the speaker. (we just got a new PA at 3000 watts and the guitarist is getting an REALLY loud full stack)

our music actually depends alot on the bass sound being there, alt rock band. interesting stuff that is rather fun to play. but it sound like a good deal with the price being wholesale, hoping it wil sound great with my G&L and fretless yammy bb200f. I don't use m 5-string much.

4. Aenema

Aenema

Apr 18, 2001
    Michigan
    id highly suggest the kustom head but not the cabs. the cabs are known to distort easily and are not nearly as nice as the head is. if youre lookin for a budget setup go with kustom head and avatar cabs. very loud and nice tone for the money.

5. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Do remember your other options in the price range though. Theres also the Traynor YBA-200 if you like tubey goodness, and the Yorkville 800 watter which sounds awesome as well. You might be able to find a good Eden head as well, or maybe even a Mesa Boogie used.

6. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

+1

7. Quadzilla

+none :p ;) :bag:

8. Quadzilla

BTW, what does "clanner" mean? Does it mean what I think it does?

9. clanner

clanner Token Black Guy.

Apr 27, 2005
    ummmmm, marietta GA
    probly not, it's from the mechwarrior/battle tech series. I was really into it for a while. still like the backstory, but the gamings gotten rediculous.

I don't really know if I would be able to get those. other brands. but I do hope to look around. I can get a hartke head 1x15, and 4x10 for about 1000.

and maybe I want distortion. (don't shoot me)

I haven't found alot of negative published reviews. so that and my battle of the bands experiance are what I've been going off of. want the 215 really bad (I haven't ever seen any more that 1x15 in a speaker, maybe it's because I'm only 16 and a we little one compared to some of the others.

they also make a 600 watt combo that I can get for $700.00

10. Quadzilla

Good on the name (didn't want to hear it was the hate driven one). Anyway, I'm telling you, you cannot go wrong with the Avatars (same as the Kustom). Do some searches and you will see. Both are the best bang for the buck!

11. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    By the way, do not get Kustom cabs. The 410 just kinda sounds bad, the 215 is decent but you can do better for the price. Avatar cabs (www.avatarspeakers.com) or Dr. Bass cabs or Steelsound cabs are the way to go if you want bang to the buck. And I'd steer clear of Hartke.

12. Quadzilla

Agreed for sure!

13. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    I agree. I have a GrooveBass 1200 and absolutely LOVE IT!!! It powers a Seismic Audio 210 and a SteelSound 212. Avatars are great for the money ( I've had a 210 and 410), but I'm still getting all my tone, with this rig

14. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    I've been eyeing the Kustom 1200 as an upgrade from my Firebass 700. How's it sound - warmth, clarity, etc.? And just how loud is it? Oh! What's the weight, too?

15. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Wow! Clanner brings me back to my DOS MW2/Kali/GC days. I was Khan for Clan Smoke Jaguar and we conquered Terra. :bassist:

16. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ

It's a great head!!! I can dial up all the warmth I need. Some have descibed it a "tubey". In addition, You can have it set up to be really gritty (if you're into that sort of sound).

As far a loud, 1200 watts into 2 ohms, most time you won't even need all that power, but it's GREAT for headroom (and if you need the extra watts, it's always there)

Weight wise, it's 31 lbs...a bit heavy, but built very solidly.

Again, it's a great head....lots of BOOM for the buck! :hyper:

17. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    Hey, 31 lbs. is better than the Firebass' 60 lbs. Does anyone know what these (Kustom 1200) run for, used? If I could find one for around $400, I'd sell my Firebass and get all these people who keep PMing me about how badly they want it off my back! :grin:

18. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    Hartke's xl series cabs are good meat and potatoes cabs for the buck. It has become fashionable to knock them however (I am NOT saying that was the reason for your comment :) ). Their other cab lines are crap though. I have heard a local player that uses a kustom 1200 with a 4.5 xl cab and he gets great sound.

19. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    $469.00 brand new from www.musiciansstorehouse

Call the 866.458.8687 and ask for Chad since the price is NOT advertised. Tell him D.C. from TalkBass sent ya and he'll have you hooked up in no time.

and no, I don't get anything from referring you...just trying to spread the word on a great head at a great price.

20. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    Wow, seriously? Groovy!