should i get a mexican jazz bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by narcopolo, Sep 12, 2005.

1. narcopolo

Sep 12, 2005
    richmond, va
    it's on sale used for $250, in pretty good condition. is that a good deal?
  2. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Canuck Amateur

New, they are as low as $399 to $450. For $150 more I might be tempted to get new (and a warranty). I once bought a store demo Fender MIM Jazz V in mint shape for $299 Cdn (about $250 US at today's exchange rates).

$250 isn't a bad price, just not a GREAT price. If you are able to play it beforehand, and it speaks to you, a good MIM, then go for it, if not, you are the consumer and you are in control.
  3. dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    That's the key-- play it for awhile and be sure it's a good one.
  4. narcopolo

Sep 12, 2005
    richmond, va
    unfortunately, i don't have an extra $150. i played it and it sounded pretty nice (definitely better than my current bass). i just didn't want to get it and find out that i could have found one for way cheaper somewhere else.
  5. dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    I don't think I've ever seen a used one as low as $250. I'm not being scientific here, but from what I remember, most of them have been in the vicinity of $325. (We're talking U.S. dollars, right?)
    If you like the sound of it (plugged AND unplugged), the other thing to really scrutinize is the neck-- play every note on every string up and down, and make sure there's nothing really funky going on. (Like, if the action is really high and the bridge saddles are really low, there could be a problem there!) Take your time. If the neck is good, I'd say buy it, because you can easily upgrade other elements (bridge, tuning machines, pickups) gradually, if you decide to. A lot of people seem to like to put on a Badass Bridge and (for purely cosmetic reasons) a tortoiseshell pickguard.
  6. narcopolo

Sep 12, 2005
    richmond, va
    yeah i like the badass bridges - i put on on my p bass copy.
    i'm going to check it out more thoroughly today - the store owner is a really cool guy, so he won't mind me playing it all day if i want to.
    he also has a 1964 jazz bass, which i got to play. if i was a much richer man, i would get it (even though all the cool stuff got stripped)
  7. purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Good advice all around on this post. Make sure you check the neck for dead spots. Nothing worse than hitting the note and having it die instantly. I have had a few Fender MIM's and this can be a problem. Price sounds ok if it is mint and, as previously mentioned, it says nice things to you.....
  8. narcopolo

Sep 12, 2005
    richmond, va
    yeah, thanks for the advice.
    i am actually pretty bad at buying basses (i've been playing my first bass since 1996). i've bought two basses since then and ended up hating them both. hopefully i will get it right this time . . .
  9. Wesley R

Wesley R Supporting Member

was $252.50 including shipping, unplayed by me . Included an almost new (or maybe new) case. I am very happy, althgough considering a different Pick Guard. New strings for sure. The neck is much better than I anticipated, so's the whole thing actually.

Best of Luck,
    Wesley R.
  10. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I've bought two MIM's for $200 shipped, one mint condition P-bass with upgraded pickup and tweed case, the other was a fretless jazz with a gig bag and TI Jazz Flats. You CAN find better deals out there, but they are few and far between.

$250 is a fairly good price.
  11. klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    I got my fretless MIM jazz for 200+shipping, I think it was $215 in the end.
    $250 isn't bad at all, as long as it's a good sounding one.
  12. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    $200 for a MIM is damn rare. $250 is a good find on Ebay. It's not all that common to do better in person than you can on Ebay.