Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Should I get a Modulus?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BASSnSAX, Sep 5, 2002.

1. I am thinking of getting a Modulus Quantum 6, with and alder body/figured maple top. It was modded with a set of Bartolini QuadCoils, wired to humbuckers, and a Bart NTMB preamp...all for around $1300 plus shipping.

Does this sound like a deal?

2. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    Yes.

3. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

What the GAS-less one said.

4. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    You must be talking about the one on Ebay right now.

Doesn't look too bad.

5. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    yeah i would get it..

6. Hey hey hey, Lay off, my G.A.S. is starving and it's mine!!!;)

But yeah, that's the one...it's got a ding in it but still, do you guys think it's a good deal? and would I really need a case for it or not?

7. Ryan L.

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I think it sounds like a pretty good deal. I actually considered bidding on it for awhile, but other needs/wants turned me away from it right now.

8. Thank god Ryan, cuz i want/need this one. :cool:

9. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    Sounds like a great deal - if the ding is only cosmetic and it isn't stolen, I'd say go for it! :)

I wouldn't swap my fretless Otiel-ised Q6 for anything...

Steve
    www.steve-lawson.co.uk

10. Fretless5verfan

Fretless5verfan Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2002
    Philadelphia
    yes, i order to you to purchase the graphite demon immidiately.

OT: wow steve, i didn't know you had one of those. its been a dream of mine to get an oteil-zed fretless modulus for a while. If you get some time could you PM me and tell me (brag:)) about it?

I said immidiately BASSnSAX, whay are you still reading this?

:p :D

11. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    have a look at my site, there are lots of pics and soundclips of my fretless semi hollow Q6 - it ROCKS. There is, for me, no finer bass available...

all the fretless recordings on my site are with that bass, same goes for both albums.

cheers

Steve
    www.steve-lawson.co.uk
    www.pillowmountainrecords.co.uk

12. hmm idk if there was enough positive response...6 votes yes, 0 votes no...

13. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Well, to offer a bit of balance here: I own both Modulus Quantum 6's with Barts and with EMG's. I greatly prefer the EMG's. I would think twice about a modded Modulus, especially if the mod of the, uh, mod included the adding of Barts. The Barts sound good, just nowhere near as good as an un-modded mod with EMG's.

14. Ryan L.

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Yes, some people prefer the EMG's. It is all a matter of what your ears prefer.

But I personally prefer the Bart pups over the EMG's. To me, the Bart system (pups/pre) is just better sounding. They have a much fuller, warmer tone than the cold, sometimes sterile sounding EMG's. The EMG's do have a bit more bite to them, which can be cool also. In fact, my next Quantum 5 is gonna have EMG's in it, just for the difference in sound (to me, it makes no sense to have 2 identical sounding basses;) ).

You will get a mixed reaction on the Bart/EMG equipped Modulus debate. It all boils down to personal preference.

15. HEY ALL!!!

I just got my baby on Saturday!!! FedEx had supposedly lost it, but with some strong "convincing", I was able to have it delivered at 11:30.

And after playing it quite a bit, it's getting easier! And I also noticed the ease of switching between my P-bass and my Q6.

The Kahler bridge rules!!! the B-string is sooooooooooo unbelievably tight, and the Barts+the Graphite neck have so much growl! OOOO! I'm gonna go and play it some more!

16. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Ummm... pictures!!!!!:mad:

:D :D

17. Ryan L.

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    ditto

18. arggg, I've been really busy lately, I'll try to get some pics up in a couple of days...

19. Ryan L.

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    That is no excuse when you have a new bass and we want to see it.:D

20. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    You CAN'T not post pictures...especially of a Modulus Q6. PICS!