Should I get a new amp before...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Pearl_jammin, Mar 26, 2005.

1. ...I buy a Geddy Lee Sig. Jazz? I'm asking because I know I need to upgrade from my Peavey TNT 115 for these reasons
    1. It's older than I am!
    2. It hums like it's going through serious pain
    3. It's MASSIVE and almost impossible to transport.
    4. I don't particularly like the tone
    5. The warning light goes off even when I'm on about 3 on the volume dials, which seems wierd condsidering its a 115 watt amp.

Anyway, should I upgrade my amp before buying another bass? I want to get the most out of this bass, especially since it is supposed to growl so much, I want to get that growly low-end out of my amp. I'm currently looking at a Warwick W-CCL 250 Watt amp, which looks very nice indeed. Anyone had any experiance with this, or the W-CL which is the model below it?
  2. You really need a new amp man.
  3. Yeah I agree with you there. It seems a shame to have this great bass and killing the tone by running it into that thing
  4. Oh yeah, and just for kicks I'll add the worst part of this amp, which somehow I forgot before. You have to play REALLY loud into it to get the thing to turn on. I mean, you have to switch the thing on, plug the bass in, and nothing will come out unless you crank the volume and play, then it will work.

Yes, I REALLY do need a new amp, anyone have any suggestions?
  5. Go for the new amp. All your other basses will throw a party in your honor. :cool:
  6. illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    Yes, get an amp before you get a bass.

Unless your bass is in similiar condition, of course.

Start shopping! If you want our help, let us know the following (and any more you'd like to add):
    1. Budget
    2. Style(s) of music you play
    3. What tone you're after
    4. How loud does it need to be?
    5. How portable does it need to be? (not everyone can lug around a fridge)
    6. Are you willing to go used?
    7. Do you want a combo or head/cab setup? Or pre/power (rack)/cab setup?
    8. How many cabs are you willing to haul around?

Then we can make suggestions. Definately get a new amp though, that thing sounds like a piece of crap (if you decide to keep the amp and get the Geddy, at least get the amp repaired).
  7. Thanks for the help.
    Yeah my budget is about £400-£600, I play rock, blues, jazz etc.
    I'd like a really growly tone, but only when I want it, eg. when I'm playing rock. I like quite a trebley tone for slapping and tapping. Loudness - 150 Watts plus, for smallish gigs. Portablility is an issue, but as long as it's smaller than that TNT I don't care!
    The last one was used and I feel like I got quite a bad deal, however I don't mind as long as it hasn't been used into submission like that has.
    I'm really looking for a combo just transport and cost issues.
  8. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Ashdown = growl

Geddy Lee Jazz= growl

Geddy Lee Jazz + Ashdown = growl^2?

someone please check my math.
  9. Looks correct to me!
    Anyone know what Warwick (amps) are like for growl?
  10. illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    I have never played through a Warwick amp.

Ashdown is probably a good suggestion because they're cheap and plentiful in England.

400-600 pounds is what, 600-900 U.S. dollars? I'd say a Gallien Krueger combo, used if you can. May be hard to find, but would probably suit you well. A 400RB-IV 210 or 115 combo would suit your needs, but maybe try looking at the 700RB-II combos as well (may be out of your price range new, I don't know what prices are like in England).

You're on the budget where head/cab setups start to be more practical than combos. But just barely, at least on the short end of your budget. You may be better off that way. Go and play whatever you can afford, and even some stuff that you nearly can (haggling will make your budget seem much larger).
  11. Th9nker

Mar 18, 2002

Hmmm I actually think it would be:

Geddy Lee Jazz + Ashdown = 2x(growl)...

But I certainly agree with the priciple! :D
  12. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California

Thats wrong because growl is not a variable, its a constant... so it cant be an X. So if you have to growls, they have to combined to be growl^2.
  13. Joe Martin

Joe Martin

Mar 23, 2005
    Frederick, MD
    You're both wrong. But thanker was closer :p

If it were Geddy Lee Growl x Ashdown Growl it would = Growl^2.

But since it's Geddy Lee Growl + Ashdown Growl it would = 2(growl) or growl x 2 or whatever floats your mathematical boat.

Sorry about going off topic, but yes ,defiantely get a new amp first.
  14. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    No no no.

Lets say growl^2 is equal to 10^2.

lets say geddy lee is = 50

ashdown = 50

GLJB+Ashdown= gr^2

OR 50+50=10^2

I am correct. we arent solving for anything... we just need to balance the equation.
  15. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Looks like you have plenty of usable basses, although a GL would be nice. Get an Ampeg stack! :cool:
  16. Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Discounted Ashdown head + Avatar cab of your choice would be leet.
  17. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    I'm pretty sure shipping an Avatar to the UK would nulify their price advantage.
  18. Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    I've got a TNT 115 combo........but it's the newer version. It's actually 150 watts, and I added a 2x10 cab to it to bump it up to 200 watts....and I just got the Sansamp bass driver and it makes the amp sound amazing! Ever since I added the 2x10 cab it has sounded much better. and when I plugged in the sansamp bass driver I actually had to turn the amp down.

But it sounds like your amp has some major problems going on with it, so I would opt for a new amp.
  19. Yeah, I'm sure the newer TNTs are much better, but mines the older, larger version with the cloth instead of the grill
  20. Actually it's more like 750-1100 USD (pretty sure). That's could be enough to get a Geddy Lee and a decent used combo if you shop around.