1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Should I get a new amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kintrap, Mar 26, 2015.

1. kintrap

kintrap

Apr 6, 2014
    Kansas
    Here recently, I made a post about wanting to buy an extension cabinet for my Peavey TNT combo. When I bought it, I got a really good deal at $150. If I were to sell it instead, I figure I'd get my money back 2x or so. With the money from that plus the budget for the extension cab together, I thought it might make more sense to just buy a bigger amp to begin with. For instance, the Rumble 500 combo, or something comparable.

It's a tough decision for me to make, any help would be appreciated.

2. kintrap

kintrap

Apr 6, 2014
    Kansas
    By the way, after I purchased the amp, I think I figured the seller didn't know exactly what they had, I think they mixed it up with an older or smaller peavey 115.

3. MattZilla

MattZilla

Jun 26, 2013
    CNY
    The last time I heard a tnt it had silver bars, a black widow and sounded decent enough for c.1998 $150 USD. Rumbles are pretty good sounding to my matured but deafened ears and seem worth every cent. Not having heard a tnt made after 1987, I vote rumble.

4. kintrap

kintrap

Apr 6, 2014
    Kansas
    The old TNTs are nothing like the new ones, but still good.
    And my question is mainly focused on the logic of the money transactions involved--if it would be a good financial decision based on what I've shared.

5. Only if you can find used gear more suited. You always eat a heap of depreciation on new. If you can find a compatible extension cab cheaply you will be in a great state for gigging and then saving for flashy rig.

6. If you're looking to gig my understanding of those Peavey amps is that there were a little underrated in terms of power. The TNT and TKO were listed at 600 and 400 watts but in reality both RMS less than 250 watts standalone.

I personally like the tone that the TNT has and they're solid amps with good build quality. The only thing lacking really is power. With an extension I'm pretty sure the TNT runs 300 watts RMS and that isn't anything to laugh at when it is going through 2x15" speakers.

The big but is that something like a V3 500 combo is going to be lighter, more powerful and might just sound better to your ears. It all comes down to cash.

Just a heads up, while you did get a good deal on the TNT for $150 bucks you'll have a hard time getting more than $300 unless it is a newer one and in really good shape.

Good luck man!

7. jetgraphics

jetgraphics

Dec 12, 2007
    Jawjuh
    The sound intensity is a factor of the speaker cabinet sensitivity - not just input power.

Sound pressure - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Audio power - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Many high quality domestic speakers have a sensitivity between ~84 dB and ~94 dB, but professional speakers can have a sensitivity between ~90 dB and ~100 dB.

This is measured at 1 meter with 1 watt input power.

Ampeg SVT 810e: Drivers: 8 x 10ā€ Voice Coil: 2ā€ Sensitivity: 100dB.
    110 dB SPL at 100 W input
    113 dB SPL at 200 W input
    116 dB SPL at 400 W input
    Ampeg: Classic Series - SVT-810E

A sensitive cabinet, like a BFD DR-250 has 106 dB spl at 1m/ 1watt.
    116 dB SPL at 100 W input
    119 dB SPL at 200 W input
    121 dB SPL at 400 W input
    DR250

FYI : noise induced hearing loss occurs above 120 dB SPL.
    ::: ::: :::
    An amp pushing "only" 100 W into a high sensitivity speaker cabinet will sound as loud as a 400 W amp driving a less sensitive cabinet.