Should I get a new bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lilbshull, Aug 19, 2013.

1. lilbshull

lilbshull

Jul 22, 2010
    I currently have a Epiphone Les Paul Special Bass, and while I love it for what it is, I want to get another bass with a brighter more popy sound. I've been listening to a lot of Marcus Miller, Stanley Clarke, Victor Wooten, and Jaco Pastorius lately, and I'm thinking I want my next sound to be modeled off theirs (Jaco being the odd many out in that list since he doesn't sound much like the other three). I'm thinking an American Standard Jazz Bass, but does anyone else have any input as to any other basses that might be a little more cost effective?

2. The short answer is, and always will be, YES, you should always buy a new bass.

With that said, get yourself a Stingray. If you want that 'poppy' sound, but still feel the P/J jones, go for the G&L L -2000/2500. They don't disappoint.

3. odarellmc

odarellmc Supporting Member

Jul 8, 2012
    Chicago
    The new Am Std are kind of dark and warm but I love it..the strings have a big influence so much that two of the same basses can sound completely different given different strings...

4. lilbshull

lilbshull

Jul 22, 2010
    What kind of Stingray?

5. ncapone

ncapone

Nov 17, 2010
    StingRay classic

6. Itzayana

Itzayana

Aug 15, 2012
    Oakland Ca
    Yes, always get a new bass until you find "the one". And you will know it when you do.

7. levis76

levis76 Defender of the Low Ender

Apr 14, 2007
    Metro Detroit
    This.

As for which bass, well that's up to you. I would suggest the usual advice of "go to your local shops and play a few different basses and see what you like".

The names you mention that you want to sound like I find perplexing though. None of them sound anything alike.

Marcus Miller - '70s Jazz with active preamp
    Vic Wooten - not sure what era you mean, but lately it's his Fodera with active PJ
    Stanley Clark - Alembic, often a short scale with very lite gauge strings
    Jaco - fretless jazz slammed to the rear p'up

Not trying to be a jerk, just trying to nail down what it is your looking for. I think it might be more along the lines of chops and tone, both of which you could work on with your current bass, and it's free.

Or do what the rest of us do and start buying and selling basses like crazy trying to find 'the one' that makes you sound like what you think you should sound like. ;)

8. kilgoja

kilgoja

May 26, 2005
    Alabama
    fender jazz or stingray. both pop and both are great. best two basses ever made IMO.

9. Right_Butterscotch64

Right_Butterscotch64

Oct 18, 2012
    I'd try a P, they can get pretty bright and snappy with steel rounds.

10. Itzayana

Itzayana

Aug 15, 2012
    Oakland Ca
    How heavy are these?

11. russpurdy

russpurdy

Apr 16, 2013
    For the price of a us stingray you could get a squier active jazz and a squier fretless jazz and get all the tones your after plus have enough left over for a SUB Ray4 haha

12. PrietoBass

PrietoBass How does he do that?

Apr 16, 2009
  13. Id go for a Jazz b.

14. TOOL460002

TOOL460002

Nov 4, 2004
    Santa Cruz
    I don't even have to read the OP. Yes. Hell yes. You should always get another bass!

That said, there is only so much you can do with pedals, preamps, amps, cabs, and all that. If you need a new sound your current bass can't cop, definitely pick one up. If I had the cash I'd get another. Lucky you are.

15. Herrick

Herrick

Jul 21, 2010
    Munchkin Land
    How about a used MIM Jazz or a Squier VM Jazz?

16. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Mount Prospect, IL
    With new stainless steel round wound strings, those two basses would easily do a bright and poppy tone. Go used! Save some money!

17. Jookbox

Jookbox Registered Drummer

Mar 16, 2006
    California
    If a Stingray isn't cost effective, the Ray34 and Ray35 are well built. The Ray 35 is kinda heavy.

18. lilbshull

lilbshull

Jul 22, 2010
    So, I think I've decided to save up and go for the American Standard with the Custom Shop '60s pick up's. I just like them so much more than the regular Jazz Bass pickups for some reason (if someone could explain why they think I like them more I'm all ears). I would also look into a Classic Stringray but most of the shops that sell basses around me don't have a big selection on basses, which is a shame because I really wanted to try out the new Gibson EB, but no one around me has one :(. Thanks for the advice though.

19. Wallace320

Wallace320 Commercial User

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    The reason why you favor new MIA Standards on 2008/2012 ones is because CS pickups are just that: less powerful and more "Vintagey"

Anyway, compared to the Gibson EB, which is half its price BTW, go on with Fender MIA Standard, it's something good for almost everything, and always will be. Shame I traded it

Cheers,
    Wallace

20. Mark Nye

Mark Nye

Sep 18, 2012
    Yep. As long as there's a roof over your head and food in your belly. And even if the above two conditions aren't met, it depends on the bass. ;)

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021