Should I get a new bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lilbshull, Aug 19, 2013.

1. Asking TB forums if you should buy a new bass is like going to a meth lab asking is you should get some more junk.

2. bass geetarist

bass geetarist

Jul 29, 2013
    toronto
    Yes!!! A jazz bass would be extremely different from your LP bass (as would any musicman, for that matter), and having the jazz and the les paul would cover a lot of tonal ground.

3. yea, the question is not "should I", but "should I get a tort pick guard or live in shame?"

4. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism

2 out of 4 mentioned are rocking the Fender Jazz, might as well rock one of those. I love my Ray but it does not ape a jazz bass sound in my opinion.

Also, I am pretty sure Jaco and Marcus sound similar, I am quite confident that Marcus was originally labelled as another Jaco clone at the start of his career but I could be wrong.

5. I know guys that have been playing the same jazz basses for decades. But IMO I would not spend the money on a MIA. Yeah they are nice. But "nice" doesn't mean much when you can drop some better pickups in a mim jazz an have a better sounding bass for less

The warwick pro series basses are a good deal. I won't be surprised if they "blow up" and be come the next big thing on talkbass. Not as cheap as the warwick rock basses and use the same electronics as the German basses for much less. Heck I'm looking at getting the thumb 6 string right now. I've had both bolt and an neck through German made thumb 5 strings. The pro series thumb other than the neck is basically identical to the German bolt on. Exact same electronics and hardware. Even the body wood is the same as my German bolt on thumb. The neck on the pro series is maple so that's different. And the body has gloss finish instead of being raw wood but that's actually a positive in my book. No more waxing raw wood.

6. and you will likely continue to seek new basses in search of "the one". Apparently "the one" is a somewhat mythical creature; this based on evidence gathered from various threads here at TB over the years.

Good luck with your search OP and of course yes you should get a new bass.

7. JIO

JIO Connery... Sean Connery Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    The Mission SF/CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    :p exactly! My most recent purchase of a Squier VM Jag P/J has some serious pop and in some ways sounds more like a J than a J. As a bonus, it sounds exactly like a P also. I put an allparts ebony-board neck on it, but haven't changed the passive (huge sound) pu's/electronics.

adgy69hB.jpg

8. sad thing is... once I'm done selling off my last passive basses (including my cheap but frickin awesome squier affinity jazz v), I'll have my clearly superior basses here that I love and play so much. Then I'll start craving that cheap jazz bass again.

damnit

I just know it'll happen...

so don't get too cornered into thinking you need one particular style of bass - you may get the bug that I have where I no longer like the same bass for more than a few minutes, let alone years.

9. Hankenstein

Hankenstein Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2010
    Piermont, New York
    what he said

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 2, 2021