Should I get a new guitarist?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Bob Clayton, Apr 7, 2002.

1. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    my band right now is a trio...but we wanna get a new guitarist because there is alot more things we could do with what do u people think? if u r in a band w/ 2 guitarists...please respond and tell me how it worked out...thanks

2. just find some other guitarists and jam with them. See how it turns out.
  3. If your guitarist is willing to go that route, it could work out well. Gotta make sure you find the right guy, though, and that each guitarist understands his/her role. If you end up with two competing egos fighting for the spotlight, it could get ugly. They need to decide right away which one gets to be Angus and which one is Malcom.
  4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Words of wisdom from Dan, (since it was the first concern that came to my mind, too! :D ). Co-operative humility is not exactly rampant among guitarists.

In one of my bands, the 2 guitarists get along great. They never compliment each other to their faces, but you can tell they have a great deal of respect for each other.

The reason they respect each other and work well together is because each offers something the other one doesn't.......and that's one big thing you should look for in the 2nd guitarist - someone who adds something valuable that isn't there otherwise (but still fits into the music well). Don't chose the 2nd guy only because they are good. Plus, by adding someone different, your present guitarist shouldn't feel threatened or challenged.

In the band I'm referring to, one guy is an ace slide player and Clapton-esque soloist who sticks to one guitar all night. The other is a chord technician and tone freak, so he has a friggin portable closet of guitars that enable him to comp the sound of the original recordings. Even when they're both playing identical ash Strats on the same song, they sound very different.
  5. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    I am always in 2 guitar bands.

Upside: Fuller sound, ability to have solos with a rhythm guy filling space, harmonizing (a la 311), and many more things I can't remember now.

Downside: Egos, volume levels, difference in ability, difference in tone, egos, less space on stage, egos, clashing theories, egos, egos, and... uh... did I mention egos?

I can understand why guitarists would have problems together, but I can't understand why they can't work them out. One of my bands just broke up over this.

The again, you said you were a trio, so the guitarist sings and thus focusses les on the tone (hopefully) then a dual guitar setup with a separate vocalist.
  6. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Before you get into all the complications mentioned above of two (or more) guitar bands, remember there are some really amazing trios. Rush comes to mind. Another is the Steve Morse Band. Being a trio isn't necesarily a bad thing if your guitarist is versatile enough and expert enough to carry his part of the load.
  7. In my experience, two guitar players tend to 'overplay', the bass player. Especially in they are any good and have a lot of licks, the usually try to fill everything, leaving the bass bass player to just lay low. Of course, this may not apply to all guitar players, but in my experience, with two guitarists, you have to be pleased with playing in obscurity!
  8. Ego, and you now have less stage space. PEOPLE MIGHT NOT NOTICE YOU!!!!!!!!!!!! Unless you are the singer.

Egos. Ability. Equipment. Taste.

9. Make sure you're getting one for what you believe are the right reasons. A friend of mine wants two guitarists in his band, just to have two guitarists. Both playing the same god-awful punk-pop power chord menace.
  10. Well I am in a band with 3 guitarists. It is a very different beast, Although sometimes the one uitarist plays Sax or harmonica or bgos wich leaves us with 2 guitarists.. then sometimesthe other guitarist takes over on drums while the one is on sax or bongos and leaves one guitarist...But anyhow back to the point. I think it isnt about the # as it is the quality. Our one guitarist plays almost all rythym and strictly rythym while the other 2 have the rythym/lead thing going where they can have dueling and harmonising solos. Some of the songs alow me to really sprea my wings and play some really interesting stuff while oher songs it leaves me playing more of a rot note rocker type role but usually i am in the middle ofthe 2. The #of guitarists doensnt affect it as much as the song. One of the only songs i am really a root not rocker in is a song where we have ony 1 guitaris in it.
  11. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    first of all...
    i am the singer...the guitarist i have now is really good at playing lead...the guitarist we are looking for is one that can play chords really well....i have a couple of friends that are gonna comeover this saturday and show us thier stuff..

i already talked to my current guitarist and he said having two is fine

12. Lazy

May 30, 2001
    Vancouver BC
    Personally I thing if a band has 2 guitarists, they should first disinguish who's gonna play rhythm and who's gonna play lead. They should specialize a little bit. I've seen too many bands where the rhythm player lags a bit because he/she spent too much time practicing lead. IMO, rhythm guitar is far more important and I would rather be a chord/rhythm virtuoso a la Alex Lifeson than a total lead shredder. Unfortunately, finding a good rhythm guitarist is tough these days. So if you find one, good job!

As for the sound. Two guitars is gonna have alot more muscle behind it, but you gotta dig the rawness of a good trio.

Plus, splitting a paycheck 3 ways is better than splitting it 4 ways.:D
  13. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA

try splitting it in half, then splitting that half 9 ways!!! :( :( :( :(

sucks getting $2k gigs and walking home with 50 bucks.