1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Should I get a new J or another PJ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kingbee, Apr 20, 2009.

1. J

23 vote(s)
    48.9%
  2. PJ

24 vote(s)
    51.1%
  1. kingbee

kingbee

Apr 18, 2006
    So I'm shopping around for my first fretless now and I'm torn between getting the SX J or the PJ. I already have a fretted Fender PJ and I'm wondering how much more I would get from having that second J pickup in a new bass. I play a little bit of everything, from gospel to jazz to rock.

So do I get the J to have more flexibility in my overall collection or go with another PJ that offers a little more variety in that one bass? Do you J bassers use that neck pickup a lot?

2. No brainer, get a Jazz Bass. An SX PJ isn't going to add anything to what you already have.

3. Oops, I misread the post, I didn't notice the fretless part. I'd still go with a Jazz but it isn't a "no brainer" as I previously said. Having both a Jazz (fretted or fretless) and a fretted PJ will still give you more tone options.

4. Rock-Bassman

Rock-Bassman

Dec 25, 2008
    Boston
    PJ. Honestly it will sit better in the mix. Plus the neck p-up on the jazz is going to sound REALLY close to a p pup and both have a j-pup in the bridge... A PJ imo is the most versital 2 pickup combo.

5. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    A lot of P players won't agree with me, but I think that the neck J and a P pickup sound very much the same. The tonal difference isn't enough to push me one way or the other.

6. Bassgrinder77

Bassgrinder77 Banned

Jan 23, 2009
    Back when I had it, I was always able to get a good "J" tone using my PJ. That bridge pickup blended with the split pickup really did the job. That bass was also nice because I was able to get a straight "P" sound with the split pickup alone.
    With a straight Jazz, I was never a huge fan of the neck pickup by itself. It's kinda P-like but not as much punch.
    And of course playing fretless you can go for that Jaco sound by using primarily the bridge pickup on either.
    For sound and versatility, I like P-J over straight J.

7. on a 4 banger If its in my budget I always pick a PJ setup not as much for the tone cause on most basses I run both pups wide open . But I play overtop of the pickups and I love playing over a PJ set .

8. kingbee

kingbee

Apr 18, 2006
    Okay, it sounds like I'm going to have to do some serious hands on testing this week to get a better sense of whether there's a big enough difference between the J neck pickup and the P.

The ash body with the natural finish is definitely a standout, but it only comes in the J75 model. All things being equal, it may come down to cosmetics.

9. Toneman

Toneman

Jun 6, 2001
    Long Island

:meh: where's the duck from Aflak

10. Both my fretted and fretless Basses are P - J, One DiMarzio the other EMG. The difference in tone between the P and the J in the neck position is probably not a lot - but the advantage of the P in the neck position is you could add series/paralell switching on it to give a slightly lighter tonal option - see the the DiMarzio website.

11. Toneman

Toneman

Jun 6, 2001
    Long Island

12. Rock-Bassman

Rock-Bassman

Dec 25, 2008
    Boston
    You got your point across "It doesnt have that quack!" We got ya. But they ARE at least similar if not ALMOST exacly the same! They both have rolled off treble, fat bass, and a hollow grind in the upper mids (p-basses have more imho). They are SIMLAR!

13. kingbee

kingbee

Apr 18, 2006
    So today I noticed that the SPJ fretless models aren't listed on the rondomusic.com anymore. Kurt says they'll be back this summer but I haven't heard whether they'll have the new headstock shape or not. So now my options are to go with the Jazz or to buy a fretted PJ and take the frets out myself.

14. HogieWan

HogieWan

Feb 4, 2008
    Lafayette, LA
    get the fretless jazz. I know an SX is a great bass to try stuff on as a good outcome will provide a great bass and a bad outcome wouldn't have cost you that much. However, if you want to start on a fretless and have some that plays and sounds great, don't trust your undeveloped lutherie skills