should I get a Power amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by violatedppl, Jul 17, 2005.

1. right now my set up amp wise is a peavey tmax and a peavey 1810, but I am now playing with a metal band who has an 8x10 that I used yesterday and with that cab my amp was cliping with the master at 3-4, and I am not sure if I should get a power amp the try and run a cab that large with my amp only putting out 350 watts at 4 ohm, I could bridge both cabs and run the head down to 2 ohms for 500 watts which is what its rated at. But than again I really dont want to have to push my stuff that hard :meh: . So I an here looking for advice, thanks. And I would be looking into getting something used, just for prices sake

I also cut some of the bass from the EQ on my ibanez srx505 to try and help a little bit but if I did cut it any more I would have removed the point of me being their :(

BTW they feel the need to play drop A on 7 string guitars. And I really dont think that they need a bass player while playing that low. just MHO
  2. Although I don't have a specific answer for you, I have used the Peavey T-Max head run on 2 ohms for 3 hours no problem so I don't think you should really worry about pushing it. If it start's to clip that is another story, but it is made to go to 2 ohms safely.
  3. it was cliping with just a 4 ohm load, and that is why I really like peavey stuff, its near indestructable and almost all of their bass head run down to 2 ohms
  4. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Cutting the bass wont make you be hidden. Cut you bass, and boost your mids. I have a T-Max right now, and I used it with a 1x15 (8 ohm even!) in a metal band (Priest, Iced Earth, Maiden, etc.) and I cut right on through. If you're clipping, that means you're asking too much of your amp, and as you stated, you're boosting your lows. Which channel are you running on the T-max? Did you try switching to the other, or combining them? I use mine with a 5 string spector, and have yet to see the clip light so much as flicker. Also, another thing you can try along with the EQ, is cut your gain on the preamp, and boost the master volume. That head is serious, and if you're not getting enough volume from it after all of that, then you're playing _way_ too loudly.

5. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Clearly, you need more headroom. A lot more. Twice as much power would not be too much...

Yeah, they still need a bass player. But they don't necessarily need one who's gonna follow all their little gimmicks. :rolleyes:

I'm no metalhead, so I realize the following suggestion is probably pure sacrilege for the headbanging crowd. But instead of just doing all those crazy fast 16th-note riffs in unison with the guitars, how about playing outside the box? Use a five-string bass, yeah. But keep it in standard tuning, and play bass parts in counterpoint to the guitars, i.e. when they go low, you go high; when they riff busily on the beat, you play sparingly off the beat; and when the air starts getting thick with notes, drop way back and start playing the rests, etc.

Tony Levin's work with King Crimson comes to mind as material that could provide some very tasteful inspiration. Just a thought...

6. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    That's not sacrilege in the least. It's actually a dang good suggestion. Of course, also letting the guitarists know that low does not equal "heavy" or the likes (if that's why they do it) is cool, though it takes a lot of work to do THAT. EQ is something they never seem to quite grasp...

7. CaM90

Dec 14, 2004
    If they want to play drop A just buy high gauge strings for your 5 and drop the B to A. IF you don't want to play that low just transfer all the stuff up to neck to 1 or 2 octaves higher.
  8. Right now both guitarist play randall titans which put out about 300 SS watts and feel the need to be cranked to eleven for practice. and the drummers is running a trigger kit through a massiv PA in a room that can be bigger and 15x20. And when the practice was over my master was around 6/7 and my tube pre was around 5 and it wasent clipping or distorting. I tired it out with the SS pre and at the volume I needed it really just cliped and sounded like crap, while trying to puch it that hard. But I dont know If I should just look for another band to play with this guys do not realize practice is practice your not playing a full arena here, just need to be loud enough for everyone to hear your. IMHO
  9. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    :meh: Yeah, that's insane!

Hope you've got some good earplugs.