1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Should i get a recorder good enough to record an entire band?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by MrFortuneCookie, Apr 16, 2002.

1. Well, that's basically the question, but let me explain. I go to college next year and i want to get a multitrack for my laptop. I found out that USB has no problem if only using 1 or 2 channels similtaneously. So anymore than that would be a problem. I was looking to maybe get the Digidesign Mbox, comes out in May, and then run a protools system. That unit would be fine for me to record for myself. So bass, guitar, synth, and use the keys to program drums as well.

I also intend to join a band while at college. Do you think it would be better of me to get the Motu 828 which is firewire and has 2 XLR/1/4" inputs and another 6 1/4" inputs on it for $250-$300 more? Or should i not concern myself with band recording?

2. int

int

Jan 21, 2002
    Phoenix, AZ
    That is entirely up to you, but if I were you, I'd go with a Spirit M12 ($700 at musiciansfriend.com) and an Echo Layla Laptop ($800, also at mf.com). You've got a good sounding hardware setup there for $1500, and you're not limiting your i/o options as much, if you do decide to record a band. Otherwise, everything you listed will work.