Should i get a recorder good enough to record an entire band?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by MrFortuneCookie, Apr 16, 2002.

1. Well, that's basically the question, but let me explain. I go to college next year and i want to get a multitrack for my laptop. I found out that USB has no problem if only using 1 or 2 channels similtaneously. So anymore than that would be a problem. I was looking to maybe get the Digidesign Mbox, comes out in May, and then run a protools system. That unit would be fine for me to record for myself. So bass, guitar, synth, and use the keys to program drums as well.

I also intend to join a band while at college. Do you think it would be better of me to get the Motu 828 which is firewire and has 2 XLR/1/4" inputs and another 6 1/4" inputs on it for $250-$300 more? Or should i not concern myself with band recording?
  2. That is entirely up to you, but if I were you, I'd go with a Spirit M12 ($700 at and an Echo Layla Laptop ($800, also at You've got a good sounding hardware setup there for $1500, and you're not limiting your i/o options as much, if you do decide to record a band. Otherwise, everything you listed will work.