Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Should I get a Sansamp Bass Driver?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by chaosMK, Jul 8, 2005.

1. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I originally built a rig on a conservative budget- MAG300, SWR workingmans 1x15, Avatar 2x10pro. I play rock/metal and use an Ibanez SR885. In better times, I used an Ampeg SVT-4pro with a 4x10 solo/and/or 2x15 and got this great clear, dark, authoritative sound. No matter what I do, the MAG sound has a thinner feel to it. I dont have the funds to purchase a sick new head or superior cabs, but want to improve my sound. Would a Sansamp do the trick?

2. yes.
    I love mine.
    i think mxr makes one as well. Go to a music store and try them both out.
    -eric

3. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

It sounds like a job for the SansAmp.

4. JPrisus

JPrisus

Jun 8, 2005
    If you want to sound generic and just like everyone else, go for the sansamp.

Fulltone Bass drive smokes it. ;)

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Where are you located? Fill out your profile and there may be more ways to help you.

6. shaolinwhat

shaolinwhat

Jun 5, 2005
    Ohio
    i dont think thats true, i mean ive def noticed that over the last year just about everyone has found out about the sansamp, but 90% of the guys i see using them dont HOW to use it. settings are key with that thing, and i mostly hear a lot of harsh overly bright tones as opposed to the thick overdriven tones it is amazing for.

7. Jazz Ad

The Fulltone isn't exactly an exotic, rare pedal. Sounds just as generic as a SansAmp to me.
    Since I use both I must be twice as generic as others I guess. :hyper:

8. JPrisus

JPrisus

Jun 8, 2005
    No, it's not exotic or rare... but it sounds real, and carries the tone of the instrument thru it as well. It will sound 10 different ways with 10 different basses/bassists. The Sansamp will sound like the Sansamp whether it's you or me or anyone else playing thru it, in my personal experience as both a bassist and recording engineer.

I wasn't trying to be a smartass or anything originally... i just hate seeing everyone act like the Sansamp is some kinda magic bullet. Where did the mids go? :meh:

9. Jazz Ad

Just because you have knobs doesn't mean you need to push them all the way up. :)
    Back a bit on the Bass knob, push presence and mediums will flow.

There is truth in what you say though. The Fulltone keeps the personalities of the player and instrument exceptionally well.
    The SansAmp can add a lot of coloration, not unlike a fat tube amp. That's its purpose anyway. But with a bit of tweaking it can also enhance "signature" frequencies of your playing.

10. shaolinwhat

shaolinwhat

Jun 5, 2005
    Ohio
    the rackmount has a mid control, and sounds way better than the pedal if you ask me

11. sean_w_mcgrath

sean_w_mcgrath does this forum name make me look fat?

I love my sansamp. It is great just as a clean preamp but really kicks ass when you want to add some grit to your sound. I wish I has 2 cause i never want to turn it off, when I do turn it off it makes my stingray sound like crap!

If you are ampeg...most people on here say the sanamp does a good job of replicating the SVT sound.

PS - My next purchase is like a Fullton Bass Drive, but that is just to get something different than the BDDI, not something better

12. JPrisus

JPrisus

Jun 8, 2005
    My biggest gripe with the Sansamp is that whether you have crap gear or great gear, it all ends up sounding the same (which is great for those with lower budgets!). I've just found it kills whatever tone might be coming from the bass and amp, even at subtle settings (never liked it for fuzz/dist). Just my $0.02! ;)

If you like it, then great... but it doesnt replace a great bass/amp combo IMHO.

13. JPrisus

JPrisus

Jun 8, 2005
    I wasn't talking about the lack of mid knob... more like no matter how that pedal is set, it sucks them out. Nothing happening between 300hz-800hz. Presence boosts 1k and up, not the kind of mids i was talking about... that's more like top on most basses.

14. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone, I ended up getting a Sansamp and it has worked out great at my rehearsals- adding a ton of clarity to my sound and helping it to cut through. I play metal but decided to try out DR lo-riders, which worked out really badly for me. Using the special powers of the Sansamp, I ended up getting a great thick tone out of them (lot of blend/presense, minimal on the treble/bass). When I was testing it out at GC with an Ibanez with proper bright strings, it produced a Justin Chancellor-esque type of sound.

It is a little expensive, but worth it. I think it will last me until I am ready to shop for a killer head.

15. dunamis

dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
    Charlotte
    IMO, you made a good decision. SansAmps just raaawk!

And don't buy the whole "no-mids" argument. The only people who say that don't how to set up a SansAmp.

16. JPrisus

JPrisus

Jun 8, 2005
    Yep, that's me. I'm such a hack! LOL ;)

17. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    I love mine! I really like the tone options it has to offer, but it's all a matter of opinion. The DI option is what sealed the deal for me...