Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Should I get a Sansamp

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by steve2, Oct 2, 2005.

1. steve2

steve2

Sep 23, 2001
    Piney Flats, TN
    I am wanting to beef up my tone on my J Bass. I play a MIM J Bass. It was It has US Customshop 60's pups. I play through a Bassman 200. Just wondering if a Sansamp could give me a beefier tone and perhaps some differerence tones. Thanls for any advice. I am going to search the forums on the sansamp would love to here some soundclips if possible.

Thanks

Steve

2. DaBassman

DaBassman

Mar 25, 2002
    Oneonta, NY
    YES!!!!! They call me "Squeaky" because I'm so cheap, but I bought one and, wow what a difference! I play a 2000 USA Hot Rod PBass and a Warwick Corvette and run them thru a SWR 2004 head into an Ampeg PB112 (or an old '67 Fender Bassman cab) and the Sans Amp gives me a much much fuller sound! Go for it. I got mine by looking in Amazon.com of all places!! And they got the lowest price for me (at the time) thru Zzounds. :hyper:

3. DaBassman

DaBassman

Mar 25, 2002
    Oneonta, NY
    btw, I think if you go to the sans amp (tech 21) site they might still have sound bites

4. www.myspace.com/spengler

Ok ok ok ok, i know the timing and lack of tightness is horrible, aswell as the feedback on "Yesterday", but hell, its all fun and games, the bass was recorded DI from the sansamp, and thats with my BTB :)

5. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    I know a guy used to use a BDDI to make his tube rig sound
    "scooped" and get that modern soulless tone. It sure did the trick.
    Totally eliminated that warm fat midrange when it was kicked in.
    It was actually good on his all mahogany 8 string,
    its natural tone was so full of low mids you couldn't tell there
    were octave strings being played.

6. cowsgomoo

cowsgomoo gone to Longstanton Spice Museum

Feb 8, 2003
    UK
    I have a theory that the Sansamp was voiced particularly with Jazz basses in mind...

on the Sansamp RBI, when you blend the preamp into the dry sound, my P-Bass always sounded crappy and clanky when you added any amount of grind or grit in there, it's almost as if the 'voodoo' midrange frequencies on the P-Bass are the ones the RBI decides to scoop

wheras on my Jazz it just sounds a lot better when you add some presence & drive, and you can do almost anything, take more liberties and still get a musical sound

7. dunamis

dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
    Charlotte
    Agree with cows. Seems to have widely varying results on different basses. One bass sounded good wiht the SABDDI until I replaced the preamp. I liked the new pre, but not through the SA. Go figure...

8. steve2

steve2

Sep 23, 2001
    Piney Flats, TN
    Since I dont have an active preamp I think it should really help me with what I want. Thanks Steve Bennett for the link. When I get it I am sure to borrow the settings. I play mostly Contempoary Christian but I also love blues, jazz and motown and ocassionally I try to learn some Marcus Miller riffs ocassionally. Sounds like I can get a lot of different tones.

Thanks

9. Does anyone have any experience with the BDDI using OLP basses? Also is the tri mode model the same as the BDDI except just programmable?
    Thanks in advance,
    Dave

10. opivy3056

opivy3056 Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2004
    Annapolis, MD
    Sans amp will really help beef it up.

I play a mim jazz with bart dual coils and it didnt cut it for me.

As nice as it sounded, a better amp REALLY made my bass shine. I havent used it since, cuts those sexy mids too much.

BTW im trying to sell my sans amp. (less than 1 yr old,box & manual)