Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

should i get a sr405

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by deensee, Jul 15, 2001.

1. deensee

deensee

Jul 12, 2001
    Southern CA
    i found a guy selling a sr405 for $450 in the classifieds here at talkbass. is this a good deal?
    is the sr405 a good bass in general?? is $450 a good price for used??
    i am a beginner, and i was looking for a better used bass instead of a cheaper new, if you were wondering... so do you think this would be a good or bad bass for me??
    need advice!! thanks in advance.
    Sharon

2. Cat

Cat

Apr 5, 2000
    Penn State
    for $450 you can get an sr800 factory new. i just did, and i love it. i've heard that the lower ibanez models aren't too hot though. you should go to a music store and check out different used basses in your price range. you might be able to get a really nice high-end bass used for that much. as for me, i'm glad i got my sgr new. there's just something about a brand new bass... :D

3. EString

EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    No.

4. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    No. Do not.

5. Sofa King

Sofa King

Aug 20, 2000
    Rowlett, TX
    Hell no. I got an Ibanez BTB405 for less than $450 and it's a helluva lot better

6. $450 for used SR ??

$500 for brand new BTB !!!

( get my point ? :D )

7. deensee

deensee

Jul 12, 2001
    Southern CA
    lol.. ok.. i get the point.. thanks guys.. i guess i'm back to my go-to-the-store-and-try-myself thing...
    oh man.. am i dredding that or what...i'm gonna look stupid and embarrass myself, and i won't know waht to do....ahhhh..
    ok.. well, here's something else to help me on..
    since i'm going to go to the store and try some out, what qualities should i be listening for, when the salesman is telling me about the guitars.
    i'm not asking for specific guitars, since everyone says, " go for what you like". but like.. what parts of the guitars are good.
    for example... the parts of the bass, and the features it has, what exactly would be good, or bad?
    if you guys help me on this, then i wont' feel as stupid when i go in.. lol..
    thanks!
    sharon

8. Cat

Cat

Apr 5, 2000
    Penn State
    as long as it doesnt look like one of those fugly tree basses in that other thread you should be fine :D

things to check when trying out basses:

action. if it's too high or too low, ask them to fix it before you buy it. make sure there isn't any fret buzz when the strings are low enough to play. they sometimes raise the action to an unplayable level to hide problems like that...

make sure the neck isn't warped or bowing. thats very very bad :p

make sure the electronics work, and that both pickups sound clean. turn the knobs a lot, adjust the settings, listen to each pickup individually. make sure there isn't any buzzing or humming when it's turned up.

other then that, just play the bass and see how it feels in your lap and while standing up. you will probably want a lighter bass since you are a chick :) but not necessarily. i know it might be embarresing trying to play songs on a bass if you are new, so just fool around or ask the guy to play something for you on it. good luck!

9. deensee

deensee

Jul 12, 2001
    Southern CA
    hhm.. i wonder if you guys are still reading these..
    but i left out something WAY important.. he's also including a hard case...
    and he lowered the price to $425..
    so.. now that we got ALL the facts... should i still consider?
    SHaron

10. no

11. Cat

Cat

Apr 5, 2000
    Penn State
    you are still getting a low-end ibanez used for near the price of a new one. might as well get a good used bass or a new ibanez.

12. deensee

deensee

Jul 12, 2001
    Southern CA
    i knew that this wasn't at the top of the ibanez, but i didn't think it was a low end one.. wow.. so what would be some ibanez that weren't at the low end??
    Sharon

13. Cat

Cat

Apr 5, 2000
    Penn State
    a lot of people here seem to like the BTB series, however I think they are really big and hard to play (they sound nice however). I have an sr800 myself, and I love it. I got it for $500 new.