Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Should i get a thumbrest?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Thurisarz, Aug 22, 2005.

1. Thurisarz

Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    I don't need one because i play with a pick but should i get one for the looks, is it vintage looking for you? I have a Warmoth '51 P, there cheap and i can have it in 4-5 days.

Should i get one for the ultimate vintage look? They offer it in black, chrome and gold, what would fit with a trans butterscoth blonde with 3 ply black pickguard?

2. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Where are you going to mount it?
    The 'vintage look' has a thumb rest below the "G"-string...not in the best spot if you decide to slap/pop.

My vote? Don't bother with drilling any other holes in your bass.

3. Heres something Ive been wondering about.

Why do they have it "under" the G as apposed to above the E? Was it intended for lefty players? Ive seen some Jazz bass with it in the "above" E position, And also on some p's, But mostly Ive seen it on P's. Whats up?

4. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Basses were origionally played using the thumb wheras we use the fingers today (note not to slap). So you needed somewhere to put the rest of your fingers. It's a rare technique now as fingers have taken over, howerver that is why it's retro because only early bases have them in the below strings position.

5. I started out on a bass with the Thumbrest below the G and I found it quite useful a couple times.. learning to double thump, when finger picking, and if im just strumming with my thumb.. At first it seemed wierd but I found uses for it.

Honestly though for your situation, if you play fingerstyle and don't plan on using it, why bother? If you want to drill some holes in your bass for something as cosmetic as that go for it, but make sure it won't affect your playing. And for the colours, I'd say black would fit the best IMO.

6. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    If I was going to retro the bass further, I'd add pickup or bridge covers before a thumbrest.

7. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Yep.

8. Thurisarz

Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    Like this? Not my bass, but same colours

9. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    Is your thumb tired?

Or is your thumb just lazy.....ask yourself that one now....

10. I am in the pickup cover and bridge cover group. I fingerpick bass, guitar, dobro and steel guitar. I have never needed a finger rest for anchoring other than the pick guard on a guitar if I'm picking something very fast and complicated. But over the past 20 or so years I have gotten away from anchoring my fingers at all. I do use the bridge on a Tele and bridge cover on a P bass and dobro. On bass for many years I have typically rested my thumb on the end of the fingerboard and finger pick in that position. In over 50 years of playing guitar like instruments, I can't think of a case where a bass finger rest is useful and in several cases it can get in my way.

11. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Leo Fender envisioned players would pluck with the thumb while the other four fingers would 'cup' the (thumb) rest located below the "G"-string.
    I guess that + the foam mutes + the flat wound strings would emulate the URB tone?

12. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Thus its nickname, 'the tug bar'

Somehow that phrase brings other things to mind.

I have one on my fretless Jazz, and it's OK, but not quite the same as resting on a string.

13. EricTheEZ1

EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    Yes, they were trying to replicate an upright bass tone with all the earliest basses. I'd say it wasn't until the Ox came around that a completely different bass tone was created. He pioneered the roundwound string.

-Eric.

14. So if it was intended to be gripped by the remaining fingers, why is it called a Thumb rest?