Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Should i get a trumpet

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by miccheck1516, Jun 17, 2004.

1. miccheck1516

miccheck1516 Guest

Feb 15, 2003
    Ireland
    While not bass related, it is music related, i think that means i put this in OT....

For a long time now ive wanted to give trumpet a go, and now that i have a job buying a cheapo one is definately on the cards.
    Does anyone here play one? If so, how different is it to bass? Do you have to completly re-think your approach to music, or is it a simple transition?

Also are the Ebay.co.uk 'buy it now's for around £100 any good, which is best? I may be prepard to pay up to £150 for a gem.

Thanks.

2. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    trumpet was my main axe for about 15 years - trumpet is a lot harder to play and learn than a guitar - but if you pull it off- people will have a lot of respect for you.

just like upright bass - you are going to need lessons from a good player to get it right.

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

So - you put it in misc.!!! ;)

I don't play trumpet, but I know a few trumpeters through playing in Jazz groups and it is a fundamentally different approach to music - the trumpet is a transposing instrument for a start. But mainly, you need differnet skills - good breath control and good lips - chops!! It is very physically demanding in a way that bass isn't!!

In Jazz, I respect trumpet as the hardest instrument to play and also the most melodic - maybe the two go together...:meh:

4. darkspec

darkspec

Jan 2, 2003
    Cleveland Ohio
    My guitar player plays the trumpet and at band practice we sometimes sit down and play some nice mellow jazz with our drummer, I switch up between the Trombone and Bass, but its alot of fun. I say go for it man, I imagine it'd be a great learning experience both for the new instrument and some new methods of music. I didnt know much about jazz till I started playing it on my trombone and put what I learned into bass.

You can never learn to many instruments! :hyper:

5. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    1) You're playing in treble clef.

2) As Bruce mentioned, trumpet is a transposing instrument. Also, there isn't an easy way to visualize note relationships with a wind instrument. As a result, becoming familiar with different keys, arpeggios and progressions will require lots of practice and repetition. You can't just shift your hand up and down a neck to reach a new key.

3) Unlike a bass, don't expect to sound good (or indeed, prodduce any sound) right away. If you've never played a wind instrument before, tone production is a whole new ballgame.

6. miccheck1516

miccheck1516 Guest

Feb 15, 2003
    Ireland
    Hmm, well, ive played tin whistle to what i would say is an 'ok' standard.

Is trumpet like the tin whistle in that to achieve a note an octave higher, you blow harder, and octave lower, blow softer?

Also, does anyone have any good links to 'taktrumpet' or other useful trumpet websites....(Beginners lessons, etc.)

7. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    That's a simple way of putting it. Lip tightness, tongue position and airstream velocity are all factors terms of changing pitch.

The harmonic overtones (or "partials") on the trumpet get closer as you ascend in range - once you're at the C above middle C, you start to overblow intervals that are less than an octave. So the next notes that are available without using any valves are E, then G, then C.

8. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I don't see one instrument as being harder than any other, really. True, getting an good tone is alot harder on trumpet than on a piano, but beyond that the learning curve is the same.

I would avoid buying any Chinese trumpets - we call them ISOs - Istrument Shaped Objects. They are impossible to learn on. Talk to some trumpet players and get yourself something good. You should be able to score a good beginner trumpet for between $400 -$600.

9. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    how long have you played trumpet? just curious

10. miccheck1516

miccheck1516 Guest

Feb 15, 2003
    Ireland

I have to put up with screaming babies at all hours of the morning, they cant come in and argue that im making to much noise at the wrong time of day. :spit: