1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

should i get a wishbass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jazzbasser535, Mar 25, 2006.

1. jazzbasser535

jazzbasser535

Feb 25, 2006
    My birthday's coming up and I'm thinking about asking for a wish bass. I've heard they are VERY good for the price, since they are custom made, but I'm still not sure. Does anyone own one or have any thoughts on the matter?

2. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Don't bother. See the "Let's Buy a Wish II" thread. :meh:

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    no

4. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Well, you've been here long enough for 5 posts...

Do a quick search. :p there are a few decent looking ones, but the rest....well, yeah.

5. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    LOOKING being the operative word here....:D

6. Most likely not.

Custom made by itself does not equal good if the proper attention is not paid to the design, the materials and to the construction details.

What are you playing now? If you have several other great basses already and are buying a Wish because you want something weird, that is one thing AND IMO you are still taking a chance. If you need a bass that you are actually going to play a lot of the time, there are IMO far far better choices out there.

Peace,
    S

7. instigata

instigata

Feb 24, 2006
    New Jersey
    first of all, custom made can mean absolue bull crap. i can custom make you a guitar. and i could spend 5 minutes doing it.

you'll get a half finished vegetable oil finish with a plastic soda cap knob. and i can charge what i want. you sure you wanna spend 2 grand on that? yea, me neither.

custom doesn't mean anything unless the luthier has a reputable body of work.

8. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    No.

But if you take the plunge anyway, after you send in your money, you better make a Big Wish.

;)

9. absolutely, get one with no routing, an unshaped neck and fingerboard, and no finish and have a luthier finish the job right

10. west*coast*bass

west*coast*bass Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA
    This was my response in another thread (gee, that's odd...more than 1 thread about Wishbass???) from this morning...

I'm sorry, I hope this does not come off too negative but looking at that bass on eBay makes me wonder why he has to turn out such a shoddy looking product.

Yes, they are affordable, I understand that. But I wonder what an extra day or two during construction would do for his asthetics. Maybe slow down with the saw and actually try to get some smooth lines and edges. This looks like a childs 1st wood project.

Maybe if he paid a bit more attention to detail he would have a better product. Even if he were to raise his prices an extra $100 or so to justify his time he may just increase sales.

As it stands, some of the basses look like he might have passed the initial design and early construction phases on to a child.

And for all of you people who justify the woody tone being the most important, I say good for you. Personally I could not play a bass that looks so bad. There are other products out there that must sound as good, look and 100% better that will not seiously dent your bank account.

11. ibz

ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    As already put no. Plenty of much better fretless basses out there for the same amout a wish costs.

12. From what I've seen on TalkBass, there's no love for the Wish here. There's some specific issues that keep cropping up, the most promenant being a "no truss rod" construction of the neck. Personally, I think he took a stick out of the yard and made a bridge out of it on most of them...

Looking over your profile, looks like you've got a couple nice basses so far. Maybe you could do some research into a Stingray, or look into another fretless. Some used stuff can be affordable, and much better constructed than a Wish, (which, sorry to say, isn't saying much but you (hopefully) get the idea.) Better thread might be to tell everyone what you've got so far and see if anyone can suggest a new, complimentary addition to your "stable" and then give a price range you think that would work. Have a happy birthday!, and I know it will be happier one if you have something other than a "Wish" when you blow out your candles!!!:D

13. froovs

froovs

Mar 17, 2005
    scotland
    anyone got a url for the lets buy a wish I & II threads?

cheers
    Lucy

14. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
  15. froovs

froovs

Mar 17, 2005
    scotland
    long thread indeed

had to take two runs at it

entertaining tho

cheers
    Lucy

16. jazzbasser535

jazzbasser535

Feb 25, 2006
    sorry guys, i guess i just didnt know what i was talking about. hey, im only 14:rolleyes:

17. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    If you're looking for an affordable custom/handmade...

Some TBers (i.e. Drake Kennedy) say Winters is quite good. http://members.tripod.com/winterscustom/index.htm I'm still in disbelief at the prices, but if they're as good as some TBers say they are, then we've hit the jackpot.

For the price of any Wishbass, you can get waaaaaaaaay better. I think Bass Player magazine was too kind in their Wishbass review. The construction flaws such as the neck warping and being unplayable in various positions is inexcusable.

18. Hey! We make allowenses for age here. We have a new thing called the "Nega-Wish Foundation" that, if you qualify, you could actually get a bass from the foundation for the purpose of keeping kids away from buying things "off the street". Keep playing and we'll be in touch!!!;)

Seriously, though, this forum is the best place to learn this kind of thing and it's a great thing that you've joined up and asked. It's the best way to learn. Keep it up and stick around and do a lot of reading here! It'll really do you good.:bassist: I've learned a lot about brands of basses here and it's amazing what's out there to play! Stick around! See you in the forum!:D

19. froovs

froovs

Mar 17, 2005
    scotland
    listen your views are as valid as anyone elses - dont let anyone tell you otherwise

ive been playing for as long as youve been alive but it doesnt make anything i say any more important than you do

wouldnt get a wish tho in your situation - there are a lot of inexpensive basses around htat youd get a looooot more value out of

cheers
    Lucy