should i get a yamaha rbx374 or rbx774

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rashbeep, Aug 16, 2005.

should i get rbx374 or rbx774

Poll closed Aug 23, 2005.
  1. Rbx 374

5 vote(s)
  2. Rbx 774

9 vote(s)
  3. Neither

17 vote(s)
  1. rashbeep

Jul 15, 2005
    Toronto, ON
    which one should i get? if you choose neither could you give me some recommendations that arent too expensive? ($800 and above)
  2. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    Between the two, the 774 is far-and-away the better bass. You haven't filled out any info in your profile and so I don't know where you're from and can't say if the 774 is available to you (it's been discontinued in America, but I believe still for sale overseas) but it's absolutely worth searching for the used 774, which are fairly common in near-mint as people bought them up at the discontinued price and found it wasn't "their thing" - usually at the same price or less than a new 374

Do a search with my name and the model, and you'll find some comparisons I've written in far greater detail. For now, I'll simply say that at the discontinued price, it suited my needs, hands, and ears so well I bought a second to defret and are now my two main players. :)
  3. i have to disagree (IMHO). when searching for my new 5 string bass i tried both basses and found that the 375 was much more to MY liking. the elctronics on the 775 were very noisy and rough and the knobc where just a disaster. for the money the 374 would be a great buy!!!
  4. rbx774. my friend has it, its awesome...
  5. Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    I know a load of useless people voted neither but I voted for the 774, having played it I found it far preferable and a good instrument.
  6. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    774, without a doubt..... 35" scale, and far better tone.....
  7. Washishimi

Washishimi Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2005
    New York
    No question......the 774. I have it, play it, love it. Had one a few years ago, sold it, kicked myself, and bought another one off of a TB'r. I have played the 374 (never gigged with it though) and although it is a nice bass for the money, the 774 seemed more solid to me. I also felt it was a bit more versatile. The 774 is sometimes on ebay in the $200 - $300 range.

As far as other basses, you should definately check out the new BB414 series or a used BB1000MA. Fantastic basses for the money. Although this does all depend on what sound you are going for.
  8. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    Glad to hear it's worked out so well for you! :)
  9. Washishimi

Washishimi Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2005
    New York
    Oh yeah....I did buy it from you!! LOL. Shows you how brain dead I am before my 4 cups of coffee. Yes, it has worked out fantastically. I know this bass is definately not for everyone, but it is definately an essential part of my collection.
  10. rashbeep

Jul 15, 2005
    Toronto, ON
    im in canada, are the 774's available here?
  11. I've had the 774 for about 2 years now and i have been extremly happy with it. I got it in the cool electric blue colour and all the bassists i know have loved it also.
  12. Machines

Dec 1, 2005
    Birmingham, UK
    I've had an RBX775 for over 2 years now. It's my main bass and I wouldn't part with it.

EDIT: This thread is over a year old - why has it been bumped !?
  13. I love the 374. However, I haven't tried the 774.
  14. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    374 sounds 100% better than the 774 ever wished to.