Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Should I get an ashdown?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by skoti89, Feb 27, 2006.

1. skoti89

skoti89

Feb 23, 2006
    Chico, Ca
    I've been looking at the Mag series of combos. I want to get the C115, then add a 210 cab. I was wondering if theyre anygood? I have a Crate, which all it puts out is alow thud, not a good tone at all. I have a jazz bass, I bought it because it sounded great when i tried it. All im looking for is an amp that is bright and punchy, but woth low end. you guys get what im saying? thanks

2. Matt Call

Matt Call Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
  3. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Yup. Moved.

Yup. Welcome!

4. Willem

Willem

Dec 26, 2005
    Belgium
    you should only do what you want to...
    but Ashdown would be good:)

5. I have the Mag 300 C115 Combo. For the money it's hard to beat. If I had to do it again I would have saved the money and got the Mag 210 combo first and then add the 115 cabinet, as usually the 115 sits on the bottom and the 210 on top, so it might not sit well if you have your Mag 115 combo on the floor and a 210 cob on top.
    But don't hesitate to buy ashdown, it's good stuff.
    Also I went to Avatar's web site I think they have an Ashdown Mag 300 Head for $289 and for $279 you could add the Neo 210 cabinet. If I did it again this is what I would have done 1st, and my second choice would be the 210 combo, followed by buying the 115 combo.
    As for sound, the 115 is bassy but clean. I have a Yamaha Motion ll bass with GHS half wounds, it has that 70's sound, so if you like that you should like Ashdown.

Try it first if you can.

6. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    Then the MAG 300 C-115 is for you.
    I gigged for two years playing covers most weekends and up to the point that it broke i had no problems with it.
    I also play a Jazz (HW1) and it can get punchy with nice highs although thats not the sound i used much. you can also get a nice motown type of sound if you need. I mostly played with the EQ flat with just the bass boost on and a touch of low freq. seemed to get a good sound and often got told this by other members of the band(s)
    I recently got a ABM thinking it was a step up but the two are quite different and i still prefer the MAG.

7. svtb15

svtb15 Commercial User

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig
    Yes by all means Yes.. It is not a HI-Fi sound.. But if you are looking for a great sounding , loud, punchy Bass Amp, then by all means yes.
    I have an ABM500 EVOII and it is powerfull with tons of tone options, and almost all setting sound good.
    Looks nice too. and for 575 watts it seems much louder than other amps that clain to be 1000 watts.
    It is like an ampeg on steriods.

8. not to send you away from ashdown cus i've only played out of one that i didnt even own for like a hour but it was god awful.

it was the worst combo amp i've ever played out of, always distorted, not loud, just all around sound like butt.

i dont really know about any other ashdowns but i know there highly recomended by some so i'm sure there good.

btw it was a blue 180 with the 15inch i played out of.

9. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    It was broken then or the input was set wrong. User error?

10. Willem

Willem

Dec 26, 2005
    Belgium
    I've read a whole lot good about ashdown and PinkTelephones opinion is only the second bad one I read...

I own Ashdown and I love it, but you should save a little more and buy the Mag300 head and then you can stil decide which cab you want first.... and your back will thank you for that ;)

I did the same and currently have the 4x10. An 1x15 will follow eventually.