Should I get an Avatar 212 Neo, 410 Neo, or something else?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by cpach, Feb 28, 2006.

1. Avatar 410 Neo

22 vote(s)
  2. Avatar 212 Neo

35 vote(s)
  3. Other

8 vote(s)
  1. cpach

Feb 28, 2006
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Hello! I've lurked for a while but this is my first post. Great community here; lots of useful information.

So, recently, I picked up a used Eden WT300 for $300. What can I say? It was a good price, it sounded good, and I've been wanting to get a decent rig anyways.

Unfortuantely, I have no cab for it. I played it through an Eden 210 which sounded great, but it was only 8ohms, too heavy (for a 210), and too expensive. I want to go with a single cab for now. I'm hoping to be able to play small gigs, and generally have a rig I enjoy playing out of.

I've read lots of good things about Avatar cabs, and the prices and weight are pretty attractive. So, which should I go for, the 212 or 410? 212 has the advantage of being lighter weight and cheaper, while the 410 has more surface area. I'm also not adverse to other recommendations in this general price/size range. I'm young and healthy, but I'll be hauling this thing up a couple flights of stairs every once and a while, so that's why I want to stay weight-conscious.

I play a Yamaha BB404F, which is like a fretless jazz, and am looking to buy a Lakland 55-01 when I can scrap some extra cash. Since I'm going to be buying a 5 soon, I want something that can reproduce a low B reasonably well. I'm not sure if I can really articulate what specific sound I'm going for here, especially since I have little experience with bass amplification, but I guess warm and punchy? Ha ha, who doesn't want "warm and punchy?" I guess maybe I'd like more of an emphasis in the lower mids rather than the upper mids, although I'd like a reasonably full-range sound.

Thanks for any advice!
  2. :D My one vote counted 100% :D

I think you should go for the 2x12. It's more versatile, has bigger low end, and is pretty widely supported on TB.

3. Greg Johnsen

Greg Johnsen

May 1, 2005
    Hickory NC
    ah Drake, I must disagree. I persoanlly think a 410 sounds better than a 212. I have a 210, and that even carries out a great low B, and I know a 410 sounds quite beastly playing a low B through it. Another benefit of a 410, is that the smaller speakers are MUCH better for higher end. You can have 8 15's, but a 810 will still have much better higher end, so that beats the 1212 for me. Another good thing about the 410, is if you need to get bigger, just add a 115 under the 410, and there you go, however, you might have to get a more powerful head.

4. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    I've owned both a 2x12 neo and a 410 neo. I think the 410 is a much stronger cabinet all around, with huge lows and very articulate highs. The Avatar B410 Neo at just 65lbs is probably the best workhorse cab availble.
  5. buffordbass

Nov 11, 2004
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amps, Lakland Basses
    The 410 is probably overall louder & punchier, but if you play a variety of styles, the 212 is much more versatile & can give you that old school vibe. With your Eden head, I think the only cab better than the Avatar 212 is the Eden 212!!
    I went that progression and the Avatar is a great sounding cab!! Good luck!
  6. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    A lot of people liking that 2x12 neo.... Interesting. Why?
  7. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY

If you'll go to the Avatar website ( and click the link to the Bass Guitar magazine comparative review of the Avatar 212 Neo & 410 Neo, that should give you a very good sense of the relative strengths and weaknesses of each cabinet. I recommend you do that...

8. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    How about an aguilar S410 4ohm cab from musician's friend (they're blowing them out).
  9. Just more versatile - I simply prefer the sound of 12's to 10's all around.

The other reason is weight...

just my .02 - Jay
  10. mattvon

Jan 22, 2006
    Minneapolis, MN
    I just got one and love it. Right about the same price with shipping for me as the Avatar 410 Neo. The Aggie is 17lbs heavier, but what a sound!

Couldn't be happier with it...any way you choose to go, I think a 410 will be a cab you can grow with.
  11. Emprov

Mar 19, 2003
    Personal preference. I have a neo 212 and absolutely love it. I also have a 210 and it's ok, nothing special but, when paired with the 212, look out! Go to Avatar's site and check out the BP review of the 410/212. It claims that the 410 has better low end and the 212 cuts through guitar mix's much better. Kinda backwards but, after playing with the 212 and 210 a bit, I can totally understand it. The 212 has really well rounded tone, not the deepst cab but overall, very, very nice sounding.
  12. no_im_adam

Jun 5, 2004
    go for the 2x12, you won't regret it
  13. Blues Cat

Blues Cat Supporting Member

May 28, 2005
    Katy, Tx
    I'm using 212 & love it.
    Get something that doesn't have carpet if you're going to be gigging in smokey clubs or you have cats.
  14. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    thats nothing a little febreze and a lint roller can fix. :smug:
  15. permadave

Jul 20, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    I have the 2x12 LF and love it. Dragged it up a huge flight of stairs for a gig last night as a matter of fact. Much easier than my 2x15, thats for sure.
  16. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    Seems like the 2x12 neo owners have a lot to say, but not many for the 4x10 owners. Honestly, having owned both, I really think the 4x10 delivers more versatility than the 2x12. Don't get me wrong...I played a few gigs with my 2x12 and thought it shined. But for me, the 4x10 has the punch and lows I crave, and the fact that I can pick it up with one hand isn't a bad think either.
  17. Aha Greg! I counter your disagree with my own!

The cool thing about 12s is that they get some of the low end 'whoomph' of 15s, without sounding like ass. As someone mentioned earlier, the 12s can really cut through a mix. They have great low mids, and have good high response as well.

You say that with a 4x10 you can just add a 15 on the bottom. I am not a big fan of this, although it is considered by most to be the standard stack. Another idea for a stack, should he want to level out the ohms, is to get the 2x12 for now, then he can add a 2x10 on top. That would give you a much more well rounded tone, and would cut through like...well...a 2x12 and 2x10 stack.

Also, Greg is teh n00bz0rz. :ninja: :D
  18. cpach

Feb 28, 2006
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Based on the positive input on the 212, and on the fact that it is substantially cheaper and lighter, I've decided to go with the 212. I appreciate the feedback from everyone, though.

Can't wait 'till it shows up! I'll post my impressions in here when it comes.

Thanks everyone!
  19. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006

I don't think you will be dissapointed at all. You should like it very much. Its just that I chose the B410 Neo over the 212 Neo, so I had to vote as such and promote it. :smug:
  20. cpach

Feb 28, 2006
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Totally understandable! I think both are good options. For me, really, $70 is non-trivial right now, and I think I'll be plenty happy with the 212. And seriously, those stairs suck. I've moved my ~50lb guitar amp up and it's a pain in the ass. Although cabs are more balanced and less clumsy. I guess they call my school Foothill for a reason: you have to climb up a goddamn hill to get on campus. If I get more serious about playing bass I can always get some tens to put on top of that, although I'd have to get a new head or poweramp, because I ordered my cab at 4ohms so I have a decent lightweight rig.