1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Should I get an envelope filter?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by nussy the whale, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Would an envelop filter be a good addition to my board? I already have an ODB-3, a BBM, and a DOD Deep Freeze Bass Chorus. Hopefully an OC-2 soon as well, depending on how the ebay auctions go.

Any recommendations?

Thanks!

2. An envelope filter is always a good addition.

3 Leaf Audio - Wonderlove
    Source Audio Bass Envelope Filter Pro

3. Never heard of any of those. Got any clips?

4. You can find them on YouTube. Both of the company owners post on here. One is digital and the other analog, but both are very high quality.

There is another brand, Iron Ether, that a lot of people recommend. I think their filter is the Xerograph Deluxe. I've never used their pedals before, but sound clips are top notch. I have my eye on their Nimbus, which is a reverb.

5. pineapplerobot

pineapplerobot

Jul 23, 2012
    Omaha, NE
    Do you play music that could use an envelope filter? I've owned some in the past but frankly, they never really applied to what I was playing in my opinion.

6. Swift713

Swift713

Dec 4, 2006
    Florence, Ma
    Envelope filters are a lot of fun because they're so responsive. I really dig the EHX Q-tron, it's really juicy but some people have a hard time reining it in without a compressor. Right now I'm enjoying the Moog model on the Zoom B3 multi.

7. rhino333

rhino333 Supporting Member

Jan 31, 2005
    Western NY State
    WMD Super Fatman is king in my book. My 3 Leaf Groove Regulator is now a backup. I am very interested in the Source Audio Bass Envelope Filter Pro because of the "Hot Hand".

8. Bassmike62

Bassmike62 GAS resistance is utterly futile... Supporting Member

To answer your first question: what kind of music do you play ? Second question: all filters mentionned in earlier posts are worth trying and as for myself, I'll vouch for the MXR Bass Envelope filter.

9. BassMonstrum

BassMonstrum

Mar 7, 2008
    I never thought of myself as a filter guy and never really needed one for the bands I was playing. Still, I bought an MXR Bass Envelope Filter and dig it. Rarely use it, but dig it.

10. An EBS BassIQ is also a good choice with a small footprint.

You may also really enjoy done of the tones you get from running some pedals while three filter is on. Lots of cool sounds to be made.

11. I mostly play rock, blues, and progressive stuff. I guess a filter isn't that useful in those styles of music =/

12. itswac

itswac

Nov 24, 2009
    Boston, MA
    Endorsing Artist/Product Line Manager: Source Audio Effects
    I don't see an envelope filter as being something restricted to one genre or a few. It can be a lot more than extra sauce on a slap line. I've used one on many a rock song!

A good filter gives you a new dimension to work with when you're crafting a bass line. It can be a slow moving LFO (imagine slowly rocking a Cry Baby back and forth) that adds the sensation of opening and closing a line. It can be a really punchy but slight negative filter sweep that takes the concept of 'staccato' to the next level. It can be a wild step-sequencer LFO that makes your bass sound like a computer. A standard envelope can be an expressive layer of texture on a solo. There are a LOT of different ways to use an envelope filter.

I would recommend checking out some tunes that use EF's creatively before deciding if you want one or not. My recommendations:

Shallow Be They Game by the Red Hot Chili Peppers (intro line)
    Boogie On Reggae Woman covered by Phish (EF with Fuzz and synth)
    Closer by NIN (arguably synth...but when I play it, I use a BEF)
    Sir Psycho Sexy by the Red Hot Chili Peppers (apparently recorded with a dying Mutron)