Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Should I get an Ibanez?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fatassbass, Apr 28, 2001.

1. Bassicaly, I've got sufficient connections to get myself an Ibanez bass cheap.

This would only be my second Bass and I am worried about getting stuck as a nu metal artist for having an ibanez, especially as I want a five string (again)

I was wondering if you reccomend ibanezes and if so which models (5 string pls) do you reccomend?

Ta,
    James

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I am not a big fan of the Soundgear 5 strings. I think that the neck is too flexible, the B string is not that good, and the electronics are weak.

However, if the 'connection' that you have can get you a good deal on an Ibanez BTB405, I would recommend that model. One of the best under $1000 5 stringers on the market IMHO, only the MTD Kingston 5 is in the same league at that price.

3. go for it, buy an ibanez...but try the one you're buying out first, cuz some Ibanezes are really GOOD and some are really BAD...it's all in how some particular ones are made...one SR-305 can sound better than another SR-305...i have an SR-506 6-string Soundgear with ADXS pups (active)...it's great...i got a real good deal for it. The tone is great...i can play a lot of different genres with it (i just need a better amp). You're gonna get a lot of crap from ppl like ANGUS and EMBELLISHER. don't listen to them...just try one out for yourself and if you like it, then buy it. If not look forf something else.

if you are getting a good deal for a bass, go for it

4. So how does he know that what you say isn't crap?

Anyway, I've played Soundgears that I liked and some I hated, my only advice is to play it before you buy, to make sure you do like it.

5. You forgot me!

In all seriousness, if it's what you want, then go for it. I personally dont care for their cheaper models, but you have to take into account that I am also a horrible bass player, so I guess my opinion isnt valid :D

6. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    IM WORSE! :D

7. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    join the club you two! :)

8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Rafterman, I don't post crap, I post opinions based on personal experience.

I bought my Soundgear 6 because it had a fast neck, it was one of the lowest price 6's on the market and because I heard other inexperienced people say that Soundgears were cool and had great tone. They were wrong.

I do like the Soundgear 6's better than the 5's, but no Soundgear 5 or 6 that I have played comes close to the BTB in sound quality or in B string.

fatassbass, try the Soundgear, but don't forget to try the BTB. Unlike people that have never compared them, people who have will agree that the Soundgears may look cool, but they are not in the same class as the BTB.

9. What a bunch of crap. :D:p Sorry man, I couldn't help it.....

10. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Well...All I gotta say, is I second Rafterman. Ibanez has a HUGE variation of quality, so try to find one you like. I got really lucky with mine. No other simmilarly modeled Ibanez feels as good as this. Not to mention this thing is set up like a million bucks...

11. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Sounds like someone is a bit bitter. Somehow...I'm not hurt.

Maybe you can explain this to me...why is warning someone against a bass CRAP? If someone has an experienced opinion, they should share it. Trying to degrade the value of someone else's opinions just because you don't agree sure wouldn't make me want to listen to you (not that I do) regardless of who it was aimed at...especially since you have to reason! Nice man, nice.

IMO, go for the BTB. Bigger neck, but well worth the money. If you can afford it, go for the BTB505, as its neck is a bit smaller than the 405, and its asymmetrical.

12. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Did you read his post? I could understand if he said "Ibanez SUCK, don't buy it!!!!" Then you'd have some reason to feel the way you do. He put personal experience behind his reason for not liking the bass. I have to agree that BTB's are nicer than SR. It's all personal opinion on paticular gear. Angus didn't even say anything!!!! You're putting words in his mouth!!!!!

13. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Nino, did you mean to quote Spacegoat or Rafterman?

14. whoa whoa whoa, Nino. :D I was just responding to rafterman's statement that Angus and Embellisher would post "a lot of crap, don't listen to them." I was just wondering how the original poster could tell that what rafterman said wasn't crap too. The point was that he had no grounds to say that. Especially about Embellisher and Angus, who I've only seen post reasonable and constructive things.

15. alx564

alx564

Jul 31, 2000
    Emmaus, PA
    And yet another Ibanez thread has gone sour.

In responds to the question: I have had a good experience with my Ibanez except I had to have the neck looked at by a pro. because it was a little warpped. Buy what you like. If you like it don't let people change your mind (unless of course they have a resonible complaint).

16. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Im sure if you do a search on here,, youll find much more opinions on this topic.....its been posted at least a dozen times now.

17. My next bass will be an Ibanez BTB1005. I used to own a ATK300 and it was excellent. Low price, high quality is what I have found in Ibanez basses.

18. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    I wonder if the Ibanez people know how often thier axes come up here as a topic.

I had an Ibanez Blazer bass back in 1984. I liked it; Iwas just starting out. I moved on to other basses. I guess if I had a playing style now that was suited to Ibanez basses or just liked the sound, I would probaly use them now. I've picked them up and found some of the SGs to be pretty sexy looking, nice feel, decent sound. As it is, most experienced bassist mess around with the set-up and electronics. Playability and output can be optimized on any bass. Low density woods are not going to give the same tone as an Alembic. Flimsy necks are the main thing to look out for.

I think these are great for someone starting out or for an experienced player who likes the bass and knows how to get the most out of it.

Go for what you like.

19. My God, these Ibanez threads are starting to sound
    like Roe Vs. Wade arguments!

#1. I'm an Ibanez fan, but, I admit not everything they make is the best, just like many other manufacturers. If you try out an Ibanez that sounds
    and feels right to you, I'd say buy it. You have to understand this is only my opinion. If you can get $
    off through someone you know, so much the better.
    Try as many different models as you can. Six months ago I tried an Ergodyne and thought it was great, I tried the same bass about a week ago, and now the string spacing feels much too narrow for me. I still think it sounds good though.

#2. Let's stop with the character assasinations, O.K.? We're all friends here and if someone tells you about the weak points of a certain instrument, they're just trying to expand your frame of reference, not poison your mind. I've only been at this forum since about Thanksgiving, and I can personally say that Angus and Embellisher are two of the most upstanding guys you'll find here. I'm not brown nosing anyone, just tellin' the truth.

I think a good slogan for Ibanez' next ad campaign would be " Ibanez, buy one and get in a fight!"

Mike J.

20. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    That's great!!! I love it!