1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Should i get an svt 3 pro?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by _allen_09, May 15, 2017.

1. _allen_09

_allen_09

Sep 20, 2015
    Lloydminster
    Hey I have a question to y'all pros out there. I've been playing bass for only a year so I dont know much about rigs. As of know I have an Ampeg vr micro head and the 200wcabinet that goes along with it, the amp sounds so shabby and not tight. But I found this used 1990 svt pro 3 in my local store together with an ampeg 400w 15' cab. I wonder if I should go for it and is it a good upgrade from my current amp? Just so you know I dont know much with amps, Thoughts?

rickwebb likes this.
  2. bass12

bass12 Say "Ahhh"...

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    The SVT Pro 3 is a great amp. I kept mine, despite moving in the micro head direction a year or so ago. The only drawback for me was the size/weight.

Edit: I have no experience with pre-2000s SVT Pros.

jdwinva likes this.
  3. _allen_09

_allen_09

Sep 20, 2015
    Lloydminster
    Is it like a huge upgrade though?

4. bass12

bass12 Say "Ahhh"...

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    I don't know anything about the micro head you mentioned but the SVT Pro 3s are top-of-the-line Ampeg. I would suspect that the 3 is, indeed, an upgrade. Maybe @JimmyM could chime in on the subject.

5. How much are we talking here? That is a 27 year old amp, and while it is full of ampeg tone, there are other amps from the same manufacturer that I believe are better for similar prices.

6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I liked my 3 Pro when I had it. It's tighter than the Micro VR. But I still love the Micro VR, too. Using it on my gig today as a matter of fact.

carsbybigd likes this.
  7. _allen_09

_allen_09

Sep 20, 2015
    Lloydminster
  8. Ben B

Ben B

Jul 13, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    A
    Both are great amps and IMHO are a decent upgrade from the micro VR in terms of power and features. The downside is both weigh a lot more.

As long as it's working properly, that's a great deal on the 6 pro.

The price on the 3 pro is okay, but not a steal. Since the ad states as-is, I would be a little worried since many music stores often give a 30 day warranty on used amps. I would ask the store why no 30 day warranty. Even with a 30 day warranty, I would offer them less for an early 90s 3 pro. I would rather pay a little more for a newer 2000s 3 pro with the speakon jack than I would pay for a 1990s 3 pro. Lightly used 3 pros can be found on CL for that price.

9. _allen_09

_allen_09

Sep 20, 2015
    Lloydminster
    Weight is actually not a matter for me but would you recommend getting the svt 6 or 3?

10. bass12

bass12 Say "Ahhh"...

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    I'd be steering clear of an "as is" amp.

J-Bassomatic and btmpancake like this.
  11. Ben B

Ben B

Jul 13, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Depends on your volume needs. Both amps are versatile. The tone will be similar because the 6 pro is actually based on the 3 pro, just more powerful. The 3 pro will do well for most gigs. The 6 pro is very loud--it might punch holes in the walls. If I could only choose between the 2 deals you posted links to, I would get the 6 pro just because it's a really good deal. My answer does assume, of course, that the 6 pro is functioning properly. Always test an amp before you buy it, and maybe take it to a tech for a checkup if there is any doubt in your mind about its condition.

12. Yes.

13. SickAura

SickAura Let There Be Rock Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2013
    Toronto-ish
    It would be great if you could tell us what your goals and future plans as a player are but failing that.....i would skip those amps all together. If you like the Ampeg tone then look at their Portaflex line. Assuming you want to grow as a player and play with a band, buy a PF800 and pair it with a PF115 or PF210 and you will have enough rig to keep up while still being portable. Then when you need to get louder you just add another of the exact same cab and you are good to go.

Buy once...cry once

14. Thumpin6string

Thumpin6string Supporting Member

Apr 25, 2013
    Redding CA
    GK 1001RB-II would be my recommendation.

DD Gunz, packhowitzer and Spent like this.
  15. Spent

Spent

May 15, 2011
    Upstate NY
    Try it first. I had one and hated it; really heavy and underpowered. I love Gallien-Krueger and Genz-Benz. It all comes down to personal taste.

17. I had a 3Pro for a while - but I just couldn't get what I wanted out of it. That was MY problem. The amp itself is fine and sounds great but I needed more headroom. I traded it in for a 4Pro and haven't looked back.

I would however HIGHLY recommend the 3Pro. It's a fine amp. Having said that - I would start out with the 3Pro and find out what it does for you. If, in the future, you feel the need for more "power", you might want to move up - but the trade in on the 3Pros is fairly strong.

18. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Mount Prospect, IL
    Looks like the 6 Pro is SOLD. The Tube Voltage knob looks completely snapped off. Maybe I am missing something, but the 3 PRO link is stating "no sound". Not a good purchase at all. Keep looking.

19. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    Between the 6 and the 3 I'd get the 6 hands down.

20. 96Brigadier

96Brigadier Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2015
    Canada
    If you're in Lloydminster Canada then phone Long and Mcquade to see what they have in their used inventory. The Calgary North store has a used Pro 3, costs more than the one at Chicago Music Exchange but by the time you do the currency conversion, shipping, and the fact that LM will give you a warranty you might not be that far off in price.