Should I get BP magazine?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by mattsk42, Sep 10, 2005.

1. mattsk42

mattsk42 $100 off new Directv subsp.PM me BEFORE signing up Supporting Member

I was looking at all the posts of "x" was in bass player magazine, etc. and wondering if it would be worth it to subscribe. Would it, and which one would be best? What do they have in them, I've never seen one and they don't sell them here.
  2. cdef

Jul 18, 2003
  3. Bassics Magazine used to be good too. They would send you a CD of the various artists in the mag every edition.
  4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
  5. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I love BP magazine. The glossy pages feel so nice when I run out of toilet paper...

... it's just full of ads and the latest trendy bass player most of the time.
    ONYX likes this.
  6. Depends. Bass Player covers lots of jazz and non-rock styles in addition to rock and metal. Bass Guitar is mainly rock and metal and they only have TAB so you will stay dumb.
  7. mattsk42

Would it really benefit me at all to get one of the magazines? Or would it be more of an entertainment thing?
  8. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Uh, isn't that sort of the point?
  9. grovest

Feb 26, 2002
    I find entertainment very beneficial.

But yes, they do have 'educational' material like transcriptions, technique articles, etc.
  10. westland

Oct 8, 2004
    Hong Kong
    Yes... but here's another perspective.

These are both (very) niche publications, and by subscribing, you help keep the ad revenues, which are their main source of income, coming in. It's difficult for a small, underfunded group of journalists (and aficionados) to stay in business.
    SanDiegoHarry likes this.
  11. JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    It would probalby be worth least to try it for a year and see what you think. I've been long-time subscriber, and while I think that the magazine was at it's best during the Jim Roberts years (and while I really haven't been all that interested in the majority of the content for the last few years), it is still a very good publication. I used to anticipate it's arrival every it usually just gets a cursory glance and that's it. Still, if you're just starting out, it is a great way to learn about gear, players, bands, instrument maintenance, theory, etc. Go for it! ;)
  12. mattsk42

OK thank you. That reply is exactly what I was asking. I think I'll get it. :)
  13. Kurisu

Nov 19, 2003
    Saskatoon SK
    My teacher has told me (a number of times) that it was good in the early years (and the guitar player was excellent in the 80's) but now it's just ads and fluff. The "reviews" are anything but, because they don't want to piss off the people advertising in their magazine. And since advertising is how BP pays it's bills, it's hardly a useful source of information.

As for the lessons... Some are good, but I wish they could just release a year-end lessons wrap-up book. I'd buy that.

For cab and amp reviews, I subscribe to the Tombowlus Magazine. He's great, informative, honest, and best of all... free!
  14. It has good info. Like how to use compressors and EQ. It also has lessons for people new to bass and for people who have been playing for years. The reviews are also a good read. Good stuff, good stuff.
  15. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    I like BP (cept for the Warwank ads)
    SanDiegoHarry likes this.
  16. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    This is an old wive's tale, and your teacher is an old wife. BP is a good magazine. Probably the best Bass magazine available.
    Howlin' Hanson likes this.
  17. cdef

Jul 18, 2003
    I agree BP is a fairly good publication overall. Some of the in-depth interviews have lasting value, and I've ended up filing a bunch of the special feature ishes, like the Fender Precision 50th anniversary one, and the Jaco memorial. Heaps of info and interesting details there. The big string round-up of last December was really helpful, too, and probably saved a lot of readers some money.

A surprising thing is how quaint the ads appear even after just a couple years. Some real old BPs I keep in my drawer mainly because of the period flavor I get from looking at all the stuff that was hot then. That's like an added bonus that only becomes accessible with time, but of course it goes for any kind of magazine.
  18. Kurisu

Nov 19, 2003
    Saskatoon SK
    And isn't that saying something about the rest of the magazines out there?

Hey, aren't you supposed to be a curmudgeon, Munji? ;)
    Howlin' Hanson likes this.
  19. frankosaurus

Feb 27, 2002
    San Jose
    I know the original poster already said he was going to subscribe, but here's my two cents:

Don't do it. I subscribed for 2-3 years when I was in high school. It was only useful when I was a complete beginner. If you subscribe long enough, it gets REALLY repetitive.

And now, especially in the age of the internet, there is so much good material out there to learn that is totally free. Talkbass alone, I think, has more wisdom in its archives than all of bassplayer's back issues. ;)

On the other hand, if you want to read interviews with random bassists and look at a ton of ads, get bassplayer. But if you want to become a better all-around musician, I think you can find endless resources for free on the internet.
  20. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    I've found it to be both entertaining and a great resource for bass knowledge. The technique lessons have been very helpful.