1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Should I get my bass refinished?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by ImaStupidBaby, Dec 23, 2018.

1. Sorry if this not the right forum for this but it seems the most applicable.

Anyway, I have an older German made Warwick Streamer STD, almost exactly like the bass in this reverb ad:. Warwick Streamer STD Red - German Warwick Streamer STD Red - German | Malibu Bob Music

The body wood is really soft, it'll dent if you look at it wrong. Is it possible to put a new finish on it that would be a bit harder and protect the wood a but more? I've had this bass for like 17 years, it's been my main bass the entire time so there's a lot of dents and dings and gouges. If I wrew to get it refinorefi, would it look all blotchy from filling in the dents in the wood?

The bass isn't worth much as far as cash goes, but I've had it almost my entire bass playing career, so it's a special instrument to me. Plus I've already had mods done to it.

Note that I'm not affiliated at all with that reverb ad, just using it as an example, not as a sly way to advertise anything.

Edit: I guess what I'm really asking is, if I get this refinished, is there a finish that will harden the bass a little bit and make it so it won't dent so easily? Would a poly finish accomplish that or would it just be likely to crack if the wood underneath is soft?

Last edited: Dec 23, 2018
  2. DeltaDelta

DeltaDelta

Feb 17, 2018
    Italy
    I understand there are some water based wood hardening products that can be applied prior to priming and painting.Might be worth a try.
    (Apply on a test piece first).