Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Should i get new pickups?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by napalmslayer, Feb 9, 2006.

1. napalmslayer

napalmslayer

Feb 1, 2006
    First, i have never replaced pickups, and i know nothing about it. I have a ibanez gsr200. Would it be worth it to buy new pickups for it?? I know its a beginer bass, and its my first one, or should i just wait till i get a more "better" quality bass. thanx for any help.

2. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    New pickups will help your bass to sound better, but that is a pretty low end ibanez. It really depends on where you want to put your money. Personally, If I were in your situation, I would save the money and wait to trade in the ibanez for something a little nicer.

3. napalmslayer

napalmslayer

Feb 1, 2006
    Thanx for the input. I'm going to have this bass for a while since i'm saving money for another cab. I guess ill just leave the bass as it is.

4. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    Actually that GSR isn't a bad bass. If you want to spend the money, try replacing the P pickup with a Basslines Ouarter Pounder and leave the J as is. One of my students did that and it was a worthwhile improvement.

Strings will also make a difference.

5. napalmslayer

napalmslayer

Feb 1, 2006
    thanx. But why replace one of the pickups and not both? and is it easy to replace them, or should i take it up to guitar center and have them do it. thanx

6. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    You could replace both if you want to spend the extra cash, but i think that the neck pickup gains the most improvement.

It's an easy job but you have to solder some connections for each pickup, just to where the old ones were connected. If you're not confident you can do it and don't have a guitar playing buddy to do it (those guys are always swapping out pickups) then take it to a tech.

That would give you a pretty nice sounding bass.