Should I get the Avatar 2x10 or 15???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassist31588, Jan 1, 2003.

1. As a standalone unit for about a year until I could add something.

I'll be running the Hartke 3500 head (which I havent purchased yet) into one of these. Good idea? I feel as if the 15 would give me more boom and push more air=more volume, and the 2x10 added would add definition and high end which I'd be using. Which would be the best standalone unit for this time period? I want definition, and Im not buying used cabs simply because i will NEVER trust them...

Also, what do you guys think about the new SWR 2x10 combo. BS or what? Its advertised here on Talk Bass if you guys look at the advertisements at all. 400 watts seems more promising than 350 and considering its SWR. How much does it cost despite its good/bad quality? Thats what I hate about companies, you have to go to a dealer to find out how much it costs:rolleyes:. Hell, and I could end up just adding an avatar 15 later on.

I think Im leaning on the 2x10, but I dont know which one is the best one to go with as Im not even certain Ill be adding a cab.
  2. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    I would guess the 210 for you. As a Jazz player you probably need definition more than thunder. ;)

I would suggest you consider the Avatar 15c + 12 setup also. That's a smooth compromise Definition and Thunder!!
  3. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    I have the Avatar 210, it's a pretty nice cab that will probably meet your needs for now.

I've never tried the Hartke you speak of but they have a good reputation as far as their more recently made amps are considered.

There is no audible difference between 350 and 400 watts if measured the same way. That amp is $900 on
  4. I see in your profile you used to own the Carvin cyclopse? Whats your experience with it? Was it a wise purchase, reliable? Just kinda big for a combo, huh?:D
  5. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Yeah. I liked it. It sounded good. But it was an absolute pain to move. After trying many different amps and cabs though, I am definately happy to have sold it. ;) I am not dissing it, it was cool. But my new stuff is cooler. :D
  6. Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    The SWR workinman's 2x10c is only 260 watts by itself I believe, and 400 with an extension cabinet. And like primusdude said, you really can't tell a difference between 350 and 400 watts...
  7. I have both the Avatar B210 & B115 cabs, powered by a G-K 400RB (older model) for most of my gigs. I bought the B115 first, but I bought the B210 a couple of weeks later. Together, I think they are killer. Individually, they each have weaknesses. The B210 has a lot of punch, but it doesn't go deep well; the B115 is very deep, but lacks punch and definition. Together, they are much greater than the sum of the parts. It's all good -- and inexpensive, if you nail them both before the price increases. The B410 just went up in price, but I think both the B210 & B115 have had a much smaller increase. That may not be true for much longer.
  8. yeah, well I suppose Dave could "deal" with me. Drop 25-50 dollars off the thing IF it increases. A sale is a sale, and profit is profit, Im sure he's making ATLEAST a 50% profit, Im not sure, maybe 35, but still, We look up to dave for inexpensive cabs, and he knows that, and he doesn't want angry customers:D...

I hope it doesn't go up though because that would plain old suck. I don't want to have to look at used cabs. Used heads is iffy to me, but used cabs is just not me. Allthough its basically all I could afford, I still want decent gear. If worst comes to worse, I dont buy anything, and stick with what I have, a 120 watt Hartke 2x12 combo. It's ok, but with 2 12's you think it would have lots of punch and low end, nah... its still a combo!
  9. redneck2wild

Nov 27, 2002
    Memphis, TN
    Which model Hartke combo do you have that has 2 12" speakers. They used to have a model where one speaker is front facing and one is down firing. Only the low frequencies will be heard from the down firing speaker. The one I heard wasn't very loud (about what I would expect from 1 1x12 combo or a 2x10).
  10. thats the one I have, the b-120, the baddest of the B series!!! lol... its what you explained, and yeah, volume lacks but there's decent tone.
  11. Spend $120.00 more and get the 4x10 and be done with it. jmho
  12. nope