1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Should I get the Boss BF-3 Flanger or the CEB-3 Bass Chorus?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by StealthBanana, Jan 15, 2012.

1. Hey all, so I'm just getting into effects and I'm trying to figure out if I should start with using the highly popular BF-3 or if I should stick with the CEB-3 chorus built specifically for the bass. I was thinking of starting with the flanger, just because I know I can get it for cheaper than the chorus pedal right now, but I don't want that to be the only determining factor because I do have the money to get either one, just not both since I'm also getting a DD-3 Delay and some other equipment. I do want both of these pedals eventually, but right now I can only get one of the two.

I use a Sterling by Musicman Ray '34 and am going for that mid 90's Tool sound (back when JC was still kinda using the Stingray before switching to the Wal shortly after their old bassist Paul quit the band). So opinions from anyone who owns either pedal would be nice! Thanks all.

2. How about a good multi effect like the m9/m13 or a boss one or such? Those have all you are looking for and more to get you situated with what effects work with you and your playing style.

3. MSUsousaphone

MSUsousaphone

Dec 4, 2009
    Lake Charles, La
    Endorsed Artist: Myco Pedals
    Yeah...I always recommend multi effects to get you started. Give you a perfect idea of what you like and don't like. I went with the Boss GT-10B when I was first getting into it. I still love that I went that route. The m9 and m13 are perfect, like Von said. The m5 is cheaper. You can't move as quickly back and forth from sounds but you'll still get a good idea of what you like.

All that being said, if you're set on those two, I would say the flanger. I LOVE Tool....but I LOATHE Chorus. Truth be told, and a lot of people here won't like this statement....both Chorus and Flanger are getting a bit.....dated....soundwise. I can dig a light light flanger...but nothing screams old people music like a lot of chorus, flanger, or a fretless bass. I'm trying out the Neunaber Chroma Chorus...since it doesn't wobble....we'll see how that goes.

4. Viscera_Eyes

Viscera_Eyes

Oct 27, 2008
    I agree on the multi effect route as well. It is probably the best way to see what type of effects you like without dropping a lot of cash. You could also try some effects out at local music stores to see what you like. Boss stuff is is normally carried by most stores, so the BF-3 or CEB-3 should not be hard to find.

For the Tool tone, check out this this threadhttp://www.talkbass.com/forum/f36/tool-tone-fx-sticky-thread-ver-1-a-620296/. Justin used (and uses) a Boss BF-2 as flanger and a Boss CE-5 as chorus. The BF-2 can be found used for 40 to 50 bucks if you are open to buying used. I am not sure how close the BF-3 is to it tonally, but it is the 46 and 2 sound. As far as the CEB-3 goes, a lot around here find it too subtle (I have never used one so I cannot comment).

If I had to pick between flanger or chorus first though, I would probably chose chorus as it is probably more practical.

However, YMMV.

5. Bassmike62

Bassmike62 GAS resistance is utterly futile... Supporting Member

Multi fx units for starters is a good option. Since you're looking at flanger & chorus, I'll go another route: why not look up EHX's Stereo Electric Mistress ?

6. Mattbass97

Mattbass97

Apr 9, 2011
    I own a CEB-3 and BEF-3 both are awesome I think I prefer the flanger for its versatility also it can get a cool chorus sound out of it too

7. How much were you lookin to spend?

8. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

FYI the BF-3 has a bass optimized input so both pedals are "for bass"

But I'd go with the chorus, in my experience it has far more applications. Even though you'd probably get more use out of a distortion in the end.

If it's your first box.... try a compressor....

The digitech chorus sounds really nice and shimmery if thats your bag, it's pretty cheap too. I have both the Boss BF-3 and CEB-3, I borrowed a friends digitech and almost traded him for it. Food for thought.

9. If these are your first pedals, you can get all three types for the price of one from Danelectro or Behringer.

10. Get whichever flavour you prefer. I prefer flanger, and most flangers I've played with I can tweak close to a chorus sound, but rarely the other way 'round – but that could just be to my ears and biases.

I don't buy the "screams old people" argument. If that were the case then distortion would sound dated, delay and reverb would be antiquated, P-basses would be passé, synthy sounds would sink into forgotten annals of time, whammy octaves would fall by the wayside, slapping would become a lost art, whole genres of music would be banned, the world would stop turning...

It won't sound dated if you don't play/use it in a dated way.

11. JehuJava

JehuJava Bass Frequency Technician

Oct 15, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    Get back inside that can...you...you...you worms!

12. Alright perhaps I didn't make this abundantly clear but I have experimented with most of the effects before, namely the delay and chorus via my friends guitar amp with built in effects (dumb idea, I know). So I am familiar with the tone of the chorus but I am not sure if I will like the flanger more, but something kinda tells me I will. I just wanna know which of the two usually works/sounds better with a delay pedal (and with a stingray bass essentially), and what people like about each pedal. I'm prolly just gonna get the BF-3 for now but I'd still like to know what people think of each.

13. lasteffect

lasteffect

Jan 10, 2012
    South Carolina
    I don't know about that... Is Obscura or Sadus old people music?

Anyways, I like the Tech 21 Bass Boost Chorus.

14. JehuJava

JehuJava Bass Frequency Technician

Oct 15, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    Get the Flanger first...since you're gonna buy the Chorus next. More experimenting time before the Chorus arrives.

15. Mharris

Mharris

Sep 25, 2007
    Missoula Montana
    I've owned a couple CEB-3's (sold then bought back) for about 7 years and I probably use the it more than anything else in my current chain (tu-3 > ceb-3 > dd-6 > mxr m80).

This is a good place to start:

Effect Volume: 1 o'clock
    Cut/Flat: 11 o'clock
    Rate 10 o'clock
    Depth: Noonish

It adds a nice subtlety to our sound (3 piece rock). I use it in key spots and I use it frequently.

I can't say much about the flanger because I've never owned one but I can say that Tool is one of my favorite bands and Justin Chancellor was a big influence at a pivotal point in my musical journey. So I dig flangers...

I just splurged on a GT-10b because after all these years I've come to realize it's exactly what I've been needing.