Should I get the Strategy 400 or hold out?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ericman197, May 15, 2004.

1. Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    I found a deal on the Strategy 400 on ebay, but I need to jump on it within the next couple of hours. What I had planned on doing is going all tube and getting the NV215 cab from Bergantino. The problem is that the Strategy 400 is a stereo poweramp... 200 watts per side. Is there any way I can bridge the poweramps to run into one cab, or will I be forced to have 2 seperate cabs? If so, what cabs would be recommended? I'm going for that Queen - We Are The Champions, smooth John Deacon tone, hence the 2x15". I would get 2 of the NV215s... but that'd just be too much to move. Any suggestions or recommendations for this, or should I just wait for a 400+/SVT?
  2. Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Looks like I may go for it after all. Although I can't use the Bergantino cab, I may opt for some custom cabs from instead. Smaller and lighter is always cool...
  3. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    You cannot bridge this amp. No way, no how.

It does sound fantastic, though. Of the 6 Boogies I have, this is the most magical, musical sounding amp. It truly is a wonderful power amp; it's so good that audiophile people use them for their home entertainment centers. You will not be dissapointed.
  4. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    If your heart is really set on the NV215, I'd hold out for a 400... :bassist:
  5. Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Well, I suppose I will go for it. I did want the NV215... however, it doesn't make much of a difference to me. After all, a cab is a cab... I'm sure I can find one similar. And hey, maybe 2 NV215s wouldn't be such a bad idea :eek: I sent an email to, so perhaps I'll see if I can get some cabs made. My idea was this:

2 sealed boxes, each with:

3x8" long throw woofers
    2x6" midrange drivers
    1 hi fi tweeter

The mid drivers and tweeter would have attenuators so I could turn them off for smooth lines, or turn them up for a more hi-fi sound. I'll see what the deal is when I get a response... chances are I'll end up going with something different.
  6. Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Ok boom, placed the bid. Now the only question is what type of rack I should get for it. I'm currently using a 6 space SKB rotorack... not that great. Is the SKB 8 space shockmount rack case good? I'd love to use my current rack, but due to the weight of this poweramp, the likelyhood of my dropping it is very high. I need something tough, preferably with wheels.
  7. mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    It's a great amp. I recently picked up a Gator 4-space shock case for my Bass 400+ and like it. One thing to keep in mind: shock cases tend to be very heavy, the Gators are lighter than SKBs (and less expensive) but still are about 20 lbs for a 4-sp case.

For wheels, I like the Kart-A-Bag thingies to help with rolling everything (amp, speakers, effects board) around on. Pretty handy.
  8. Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Do you use the rear rails or just the front rails? Since it seems I can only get either 4 or 8 spaces and not 6, I think it'd actually be a lot cheaper and easier to buy this 4 space shock rack:

and any old rack for the preamp and conditioner such as:

I'd get a 2 space X rack or something along those lines, but I want to keep the option of getting a 2 space preamp or another unit, and I want this to be able to stack with the 4 space shock case.

Good idea?