Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Should I get the Zon?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by eljuapo, Aug 3, 2003.

1. So, I went up to Guitar Center recently and had the chance to play a Zon Sonus 4/2. It sounded great! They have it marked down to $899 and I might be able to talk them into 700 or 750 out the door. Is this worth it? I think the bass retails for 2000+ but, you know, who pays retail?

Anyway, question is: Is this a good buy?

2. $900 for a Zon? I don't know that much about these basses, but I do know that they're typicaly very expensive. Sounds like a heck of a deal to me.

3. Hmm...just check Zon's online catalog and the 4/2 lists for $2995

It does seem like a pretty good deal.

4. Zon Bass

Zon Bass

Jan 20, 2002
    Dallas, TX
    Get it. I love my Sonus.:bassist:

5. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Do it.

You won't be sorry, that's a screaming deal, even on a USED one!

6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I'd do it. I did do it. It's worth it.

7. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    That's a smokin' deal

Zon basses are awesome. Get it, you won't regret it.

8. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    zons rock, man...and for that price, it's a steal. i love my sonus special 5.

9. Better hurry up... everyone's checking out their local GC today.

I love my Sonus 5. Great aggressive bass with absolute stability.

Good Luck,

Jonathan

10. I did end up getting it! I'll probably put up the obligatory thread with pics and stuff. Happy!

Oh, by the way, the GC I went to is in Fountain Valley, CA (Orange County). That particular one sells alot of the clearance stuff. Right now they're doing the annual sale thing and all of the other GCs in souther California (at least in orange county) have sent their high end stuff there for sale. They have lots of Pedullas, Warwicks, a couple of Zons, and all the rest of the higher end GC stuff.

11. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Shoot! I was just in there last Tuesday, and I missed it.

12. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Buy!

13. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc

dude...he did buy it

14. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    LOL, whoops. Seems I forgot to read that post.

Good job!

15. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    I came very close to buying a Zon at the new price.I would buy that one in a heartbeat.

16. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Even if you don't like it, you can Ebay it and get at least $1200 for it, probably more.

You got a heck of a deal.:)

17. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Congrats on a Smokin Score.

18. I wished I could have chimed in earlier.

I had to sell my Zon because it developed a defect. The fingerboard "sunk" and developed too much relief for my tastes. I shipped it to Carey Nordstrand to have new frets put on and to have him investigate, because it just felt different to me. Carey called me and said, yup the fingerboard has developed a ton of relief in it.

So I called Joe Zon. He said the neck has not moved. The fingerboard is the problem. He said about 2 or 3 basses per production year develop this problem of "sinking" or "settling". He said he would be happy to fix it for $400 + shipping....:eek:
    Well, since there's no truss rod and now no confidence in the instrument, I had to sell it.

This is not a "Zon flame post". If you like your Zon, good for you. Joe is a great guy and I have given him a ton of business. I bought 2 Zon basses and about $800 worth of Zon strings. But until he puts a truss rod in his necks, I cannot buy a Zon again. It may never happen again, but I don't want to go through this again.

19. That's disheartening to hear. I've had a good couple of days with the new Zon and I have to say it was worth every penny. A friend of mine checked it out (who also plays bass) and loved it too. I'm really happy with this and I hope that the fretboard does not "go bad". It seems like this would be a manufacturing defect, shouldn't this be covered by a warranty?

20. Wada deal! Was it the black one??