Should I get the Zon?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by eljuapo, Aug 3, 2003.

1. Yep, black.

2. superphat

superphat

Sep 30, 2001
    should be covered by warranty, BUT of course the defect won't show up until 1 day after the warranty expires. GUARANTEED.

3. You scored! That bass had lots o' my finger prints on it!

4. Basso Gruvitas

Basso Gruvitas Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2000
    Dallas/Ft. Worth TX
    We discussed that. The warranty is for 1 year only. I had had the bass for 4 years.:bawl:

5. It seems to me that if Mr. Zon admitted it was a manufacturing defect, that happens on a rare occasion, that he would extend the warranty as a good public relations move. That way you would be singing the praises of Zon basses rather than questioning them. It seems to me that would be worth a few bucks.

6. Basso Gruvitas

Jun 7, 2000
    Dallas/Ft. Worth TX
    You'd think.....

7. buzzbass

buzzbass

Apr 23, 2003
    Tenn. & NJ
    I find that unusual. I bought a used 94 Sonus in 98 and about 6 mths later the neck deveolped a crack where the fingerboard is joined to the neck. Even though I wasn't the orig. owner Joe said send it on back. 2 weeks later I get my bass back with a new neck (including the newer phenowood finger board). While they were at it, they completely disassembled it and buffed out all of the scratches in the body. It was like getting a brand new bass back. All I paid for was shipping both ways. Joe and his basses rock, that's why I own 2.

8. Basso Gruvitas

Jun 7, 2000
    Dallas/Ft. Worth TX

WOW!!:eek: Did YOU make out!!

The only thing I can attribute that to is the time in which that happened. Perhaps he's now too busy to do the free, customer courtesy thing. I CAN say that if he would have done that with me, I would still have the instrument.

9. mike mcd

mike mcd

Dec 11, 2002
    I doubt it's that he's too busy to do the customer service thing. Even though the Zon fretboard is phenowood, it is still wood, which as we all know is an unpredictable substance. I can't think of any bass makers who offer lifetime warranties that say the wood will never move.

10. Basso Gruvitas

Jun 7, 2000
    Dallas/Ft. Worth TX
    Well, I will say that while I was deciding on the bass and during the construction process, the Zon staff was telling about how stable phenowood was; telling me reassuring stories of how they put a phenowood board in a bucket of water overnight and it didn't move one mm.

You're right. Wood is wood and it can move. Zon owners beware.

11. mike mcd

mike mcd

Dec 11, 2002
    I udnerstand where you're coming from though. One of the selling points of composite necks and phenowood fingerboards is supposed to be their stability, so it may be reasonable to expect a longer warranty period than a traditonal all wood bass would have.

12. Basso Gruvitas

Jun 7, 2000
    Dallas/Ft. Worth TX
    Just talked with him over the phone. Carey's prognosis confirmed what I had already been feeling in my hands. Keep in mind it was 32th's of an inch, but I could tell.

It DID stink! I loved that bass! I figured I would be better off selling the bass, putting in some cash and starting over with another bass (full warranty + other features that I wanted). That's where I am now.

2 or 3 basses per production year is pretty high odds. The chances of that happening again to any of your Zons is rare, but I didn't want to take a chance. It's like being in a car wreck and your frame gets bent. They can stretch the frame back, but does the car still have the same integrity it did before? Would my bass be the same? Hmmmmmm:meh:

13. Deep

Deep

May 8, 2002
    NY
    That is a bummer about the fretboard. But if he were to repair it, he would be taking the existing fretboard off the neck and putting a new phenowood fretboard on the neck. Then of course putting in frets etc, just like on a brand new neck. It seems there is no problem with the actual neck (composite portion) just the fingerboard going haywire. I would say the chances of that happening again is VERY slim. All I can say about my Zon is that the relief NEVER seems to move. I fly all over the country and Europe in all different climates, and even after getting the bass to the hotel after a flight I gotta say the bass is still in tune 9 outta 10 times.

14. Basso Gruvitas

Jun 7, 2000
    Dallas/Ft. Worth TX
    There ya go! I'm sure that is just about everyone's experience.

I would assume my situation would be similar - I might not have any more problems. But I guess it was a psychological thing. I had lost confidence in the design and the builder. I didn't want to deal with it. I just wanted a fresh start.

15. Deep

Deep

May 8, 2002
    NY
    Believe me I do understand how you feel. It seems Joe's opinion on NOT putting in truss rods or him feeling no need for truss rods in his basses is very strong. It seems most of the (biggie) composite neck basses out there now have truss rods....Modulus,Status.So does Moses.The thing is,I think the truss rods are put in mostly for a persons personal relief preference. Not so much for the neck moving....like on a wood neck. But it may be nice to have just in case. A second line of defense so to speak.

16. Basso Gruvitas

Jun 7, 2000
    Dallas/Ft. Worth TX
    Hey Josh,
    No, I sold the bass several weeks ago. I had it for sale on TB, Bassgear, Harmony Central. Finally had to sacrific it to the god of Ebay.

17. Basso Gruvitas

Jun 7, 2000
    Dallas/Ft. Worth TX
    Working on a Benavente Vortex. It's at Chris Benavente's shop getting a new preamp, new nut, and some setup tweeking.

I'll have it back in a couple weeks. Then I'll make the final, official ruling on it.:eek: