Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Should I get these?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Chace90, Jul 29, 2002.

1. Chace90

Chace90 Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2002
    Denver, CO
  2. It pretty hard to go wrong installing Barts in a Jazz bass. And If you don't like them re-sell them on ebay to the next buyer. BTW I always save the pictures of the items that I buy, it makes selling them so much easier.

Be sure that they fit in your bass. The neck one should be a few Cm's smaller across the longest face of the pickup. Measure them and ask the seller to do the same.

They are passive pickups by the way. I think the Deluxe uses passive pickups with an active preamp.

Out of curiousity why do you want to change them?

3. Chace90

Feb 1, 2002
    Denver, CO
    I want a little more growl and punch. Some more aggressiveness (it that's a word). I like mine ok but they're kind of thin sounding. I'd also probably get a j-retro deluxe to go with it but i'm not sure I can afford that right now.

4. duncans are a little more agressive then barts usually but if you add the j retro you should have everything you want.

The pickups and preamp you have now if worth some money to the ebay community if you want to sell them to fund the j retro

5. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    if growl is what you want i don't think the "standard" barts are what you're looking for. maybe the "bright" CX windings but i've never heard those.

I'd go with basslines for a good mixture of depth and growl, or EMG's if you want hi-fi clarity.

6. Chace90

Feb 1, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Barts are gonna warm up the sound right? I still want that top end clarity that I have with my noiseless pickups but a little more smoothness out of the bottom end.

7. Chace90

Feb 1, 2002
    Denver, CO
  8. FalsehoodBass

FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    pickups are soo subjective that it almost seems pointless to talk about them being bright or punchy or aggressive etc. I can tell you that i had a carvin bass i didn't like, and put a bartolini pickup and preamp in there and now it's awesome. But "good" is the only thing i can really say... i can't tell which pickup was puncher or growlier or anything.

If you buy them for a resonable price on ebay, you can just sell them back, and you paid whatever shipping was for the knowledge you gained.

one thing i'm sure of, all bart pickups are passive, are are your fender pickups. So electronically, you should be able to get any barts you want. Physically, i have no idea, but i assume if you get the correct neck and bridge pups, the sizes are probably pretty standard.