Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

should i get this combo or this head + cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Dags, May 18, 2004.

1. Dags

Dags

Jan 19, 2004
    I can get a new Yorkville XM200T combo amp for $430 shipped.

Or, I can get a Behringer BX3000T head ($200) and an Avatar SB112 or Dr.Bass Rx112d cab for $250. Or, I can wait around for a good deal on a Gallien-Krueger 400RB head and get it for around $250 or so, if it's worth it over the Behringer.

So what are your opinions on this seeing as how I just today realized maybe I can get a cheap head and cab instead of a combo.

By the way I know I've posted a lot of questions related my amp search but I'll shut up as soon as I buy something :smug:

2. ole Jason

ole Jason Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Louisville, KY
    Do you plan on selling the stuff later on? If so it may be better to get the Yorkville. As it stands Avatar and Behringer stuff doesn't sell too well used. Checking Ebay I saw an XM200 went for $450. Then again having the head + cab will give you flexibility when you upgrade because you can buy a different head or a different cab instead of having to buy both at once. Also think about portability. If memory serves me correctly the Behringer head is around 25-30 pounds and the cab is probably 30-40. The Yorkville is 58 pounds and quite a bit larger so it may not be as easy to pack around if that's a concern.

3. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    yorkville makes some great sounding stuff, probably better than the avatar speakers, don't know if the bheringer is any good, avatar is usually good value, but average tone. in my opinion I'd go yorkville.

4. Dags

Dags

Jan 19, 2004
    okay any other opinions before I buy the Yorkville tonight?

5. Saetia

Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    You ever think about looking into the used market? You could pick up the SB112 or the B212 and then get a nice used head to put into it. You can usually get a great deal on used stuff which is barely used for cheap, and get a great bang for your buck. I got a music man HD-212 cab for $300 on this board almost brand new. I also picked up an Eden D410T cab used for $240 which is unheard of, I guess I'm saying give the used market a try before you pull the trigger on something new, when buying used you can easly double the quality of what you buy used then you what you would of bought new for the same price. I'd say save up a bit more money like $550 or so and you could get a nice 212 cab and a Hartke 3500 which you would be happy with for quite some time.

Think long term rather then what your immediate needs are, it will help with the GAS pains as well.

Hope I helped
    Peace
    -Ben