Should i get this guitar effect pedal for bass?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by AcousticBass, Jun 1, 2005.

1. AcousticBass

May 28, 2005
  2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    there's no way of knowing *for sure* without trying it, but chances are it's not bass friendly and only covers guitar eq range.
  3. fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    that's not necessarily true, if it's analog it should be fine... but it probably isn't. For heavy metal (eg: cliff distortion) i like the EHX double muff, its cheap and simple, it gives a really great buzzsaw OD, but there's absolutely no bottom. The boss odb-3's also in my chain, its good if you don't mind pedals that aren't true bypass
  4. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    I use a SansAmp GT2 and I think it is pretty darn metal. It should be easy to track one down and try it for yourself. Specifically regarding bass preservation, their "California" setting (MESA) is good on the low end and the box has bass and treble controls, so you can tweak it more.

I wish it had multiple preses like the Tri-AC, which means I should probably own a Tri-AC instead. But the GT2 does make some hellish metal sounds.

My 0.02
  5. The sansamop tech 21 bass xxl get huge distortion w/out loosing the bottom, unless you adjust the nobs to tell it to loose the bottom. Rat pedals work good too, but will lose the bottom.
  6. Bill_5Sttring

Jun 3, 2005
    I'd like to ask a more general question. Is there any difference between a guitar and a bass effect pedal?

I've read conflicting opinions:
    I know bass goes from 41Hz (low E) whereas guitars start at about 82Hz and go up to 1320Hz. So there should not be much difference in circuit design here (analog or digital) so whats the difference?
  7. DanGouge

May 25, 2000

Some pedals work well, others, not so much.
  8. xbradx

Oct 25, 2004
    Indianapolis, IN
    i use a Boss MT-2 Metal Zone pedal. has a huge bottom end with the low eq at least 3/4 up and the stacked level/freq mid control works great. can produce a great grindy tone.
  9. AcousticBass

May 28, 2005

hey would you say metal zone is more heavy distortion than any other pedal?
  10. xbradx

Oct 25, 2004
    Indianapolis, IN
    well, it's definitely a much heavier distortion than any of the actual bass overdrives/distortions i tried. and of the guitar pedals i tried, it seems to handle the low end the best. i went through alot of pedals, some borrowed, some bought and traded until i found the metal zone(our guitar player had an "extra" that he let me use).
  11. paz

paz Banned

Jun 26, 2001
    Seaton, Devon, England
    acoustic bass i actually own one of these little beasts, its a hell of a pedal. if your lookin for metal this is it. its the dirtiest evil sounding noisiest distortion ive heard

it sounds really sweet higher up the next and great for tapping sweep picking and pinched harmonics, it tends to lose a bit of clarity on the e string, but if u palm mute whilst playing you can get a really cool chuggy guitar sound out of it.

when using i turn the bass up full and the treble up half way to get the sound i like.

id recommend trying it out first thgen seeing if u like it, hope this has been helpfull
  12. AcousticBass

May 28, 2005

you own which pedal?
  13. Whats with you and "HEAVY METAL" dude? Nothing wrong, just wondering why all of your posts involve " HEAVY METAL"
  14. paz

paz Banned

Jun 26, 2001
    Seaton, Devon, England
    sorry mate, ive got the digitech metal master pedal
  15. AcousticBass

May 28, 2005
    Dude, i love heavy metal, i play bass therefore i am a heavy metal bassist, and i need to ask questions thats all.
  16. DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    i concur and fully endorse this statement concerning the GT2.

i originially bought mine for guitar but gave it a shot on the bass and loved the way it sounds for lead distortion type work.