Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

should i get this warwick?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by xcental34x, Mar 7, 2004.

1. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    There is a bleach color Warwick Corvette 5 String at a local music store. The price is $600. Now this sounds like a steal to me. I played it unplugged and everything seemed cool. I'll probably give it a thorough run down within the next couple of days.

I've admired Warwick Corvettes for awhile and several times have given thought to selling my Stingray to get a Warwick. I'm not selling my Stingray. But I start my new job tomorrow and I will get my first check next Friday. It should be around enough to put the bass in layaway.

The number one need of mine right now is a new head, which I'm aiming at a GK 1001RB-II. I do have a head that would suffice, at best. Is this a good enough deal that I should put back buying a head and buy this?

~Patrick

2. I believe that amplification is your most important tool, but $600 for a Warwick in good shape is a good deal. This is a tough one, let's see what others say.

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Thats a good deal IMO.

4. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    A quick perusal of completed items on eBay shows Corvettes going for $600 - $900 dollars. This sounds like a pretty good deal. If you're starting a new job, you may be able to save for an amp. I'd vote for getting the bass.

Peace,

James

5. Gsxtasy99

Gsxtasy99

Jul 10, 2003
    Boston, MA
    That's a pretty good price, but i really think your first priority should be your amplifier. If you have a new job, you should have money later for a bass, and another one will come along. They're tons of people selling warwicks. Just avoid ebay, the ones on there are frequently shady.

6. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Get the bass.

7. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Get the bass.

Bring CASH. Say you'll take it for 500 cash right now. Green.
    Riffle the cash in the envelope at that point. This defines:
    "I am BUYING right now, I am not shopping ..."
    If it is a local guy, he might go for the 5 bigbones.
    If it is GC they will usually go down 50-75 bones.

Settle for 550 no more, be prepared to saunter out, be flashing your cash slow like when you smile and are moving for the door.

Heck, you can always pay more, but when there is a dance on, no
    point not dancing ...

8. GKs seem to be in much greater supply than blonde 'Vettes at damn good prices. I'd get the bass.

9. Dr.SixString

Dr.SixString

Apr 30, 2002
    good deal!! I got a brand new Thumb two weeks ago (my first Thumb) and it sounds gorgeous, also the balance is perfect! yeah.. :hyper:

10. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    very good deal, and jsut to double check, its not a rockbass right?

if you planned on upgrading your bass in teh future anyways, i would go for the bass

11. Look at it this way...

The amp will always be there for you to buy when you get the money.

The Warwick will not always be there at that price.

Better to get the bass now while the price is right, and the amp later. I say get the Warwick.

12. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    OK, I was misinformed about the price. Its $700. Should I still try and get it over the GK? Think I could talk them down?

~Patrick

13. Talk them down to $600, then buy it, then take pics, then post here :)

14. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I hate to be the voice of dissent Patrick, but its more important for you to have a decent amp now. This has nothing to do with the fact that I may...ummm..occasionally bash Warwicks. You have a Stingray which is a first rate bass already. If you buy the Warwick, you will have two basses that sound like crap due to lack of decent amplification. Get the amp, and save up for the bass later.
    As long as there are Guitar Centers on earth, you'll be able to find a Warwick, or a Marcus Miller, or whatever floats your boat at the time.

15. Nah, get the warwick.

16. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Try the Corvette. If you like it, try to get the price down to 600. If you dont like it, then save the money up for the Gk head. Unless your current rig sucks real hard, you can make do with it for a time. I have seen others playing even crappier gear than that. But remember: you can get a new 1001 anytime, but not a good used deal. But definately try it first! The neck might feel uncomfortable for you.

17. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    get a bergantino.

;)

f

18. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Maybe he's right... Then look for a Fi3lDy sig Ibanez k5 and he'll say buy it! ;)
    :D

19. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Bergantino? He was either looking for a bass or a head, not a cab! ;)

20. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    You're right. I get alittle over my head every once in awhile. But get this. My friend bought the only 1001RB-II in stock in Memphis! I coulda talked them down to 600, and he paid the full 750!

I already got an awesome cab. My GK 410RBH is a monster. I'm gonna wait until I get my paycheck friday and decide what to do once its in the bank. The Warwick will likely be there for awhile since it is in a store that deals Lakland, MusicMan, Fender, Smith, Modulus.