Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SHOULD I GET THIS??????

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by teprodic, Jan 2, 2003.

1. ALRIGHT... IM LOOKING FOR A GOOD HEAD TO BUY TO GO WITH MY CABINET. MY CABINET IS A 4-10 AND PLAYS AT 8 OHMS AND ITS MONO SO YEAH ITS PRETTY CHEAP. I'M THINKING OF BUYING THE HARTKE 3500 BUT I DON'T KNOW IF THIS IS LOUD ENOUGH. IT SAYS IT IS 350 WATTS AT 4 0HMS AND 240 AT 8 OHMS. I'M NOT SURE IF 240 IS ENOUGH TO PLAY EVENLY WITH THE GUITAR WITH ALL THE DISTORTION AND STUFF. I DO WANT TO BE HEARD AT A SHOW SO I NEED ONE THAT CAN HELP ME WITH THAT. SO IF ANY OF YOU HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS ON A HEAD OR IF YOU THINK THIS IS THE RIGHT HEAD FOR ME TO GET WELL HELP ME OUT.
    PLZ EMAIL ME WITH YOUR SUGGESTION OR REPLY TO THIS POST.
    SK8R90255@HOTMAIL.COM

THANKS!!!
    :confused:

2. Do the rest of us a favor and turn off your caps please.

The Hartke is a good amp, but I have no idea what your band situation is. 4x10's push quite a bit of air, and are pretty loud. If you're really that worried though, you could buy a power amp to hook up with your Hartke, or buy another 8 ohm cab to make your Hartke head push out all 350W.

3. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    PDX
    Whether or not 240 watts is enough for your band really depends on the speakers. It will probably be fine.

4. What brand and model of 4x10 do you have? What do you mean by "MONO"?

5. How loud are the guitarists playing. Are they using 30 watts, or are they screaming through 100 watt Marshalls. This will make a huge difference. IME, you want 3 to 5 times the power of the guitarist, if they push their amps.

YMMV,
    Geoff

6. redneck2wild

redneck2wild

Nov 27, 2002
    Memphis, TN
    I would go a step further and say you need 1.5 to 2 times the speaker surface area of the guitarist as well as 3 to 5 times the power. Low Bass frequencies require more speaker surface area to produce (even though cabinet specs also makes a big difference).
    If there is more than one guitarist then add them together.
    A quick and dirty method for speaker surface area:
    1.5 10" speakers = 1 12" speaker
    2 12" speakers = 1 15" speaker
    2 15" speakers = 1 18" speaker
    Note that Speakers are conical so a larger speaker is deeper as well as larger in diameter. Also Guitar 12" speakers tend to be shallower than PA or Bass speakers. I tried to take this into account above.

So if you have a guitarist with a single 12" cab with 50w of power, a 4x10 cab or a 1x15 cab would be more than capable with 200w power. If the guitarist has a 4x12" cab with 100W of power, you would want a minimum of 300W of power (with 500W being better) and a minimum of 2 cabinets (maybe one 4x10 and 1x15) or maybe 1 8x10 cabinet.