1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

should I give up tabs completly

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Vacume, Mar 30, 2006.

1. Vacume

Vacume

Jan 11, 2006
    Ive been learnin notation for a while and I realize I should be tryin to learn simple songs by ear now but my problem with notation is that when you wanna learn notation for the hard stuff u have to buy the entire album with it as there are no notation sites on the net. wut do u guyz do?

2. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    I would learn some punctuation first. Then, only use tabs in emergencies.

3. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    Then get a job and just buy the notation books.

4. fr0me0

fr0me0

Dec 7, 2004
    Winnipeg Canada
    couldn't say it any better myself

5. weeding

weeding

May 17, 2005
    People will bash me for this, but as it has effected me;

TAB=NO NO NO NO NO

6. TheJimster

TheJimster

Feb 21, 2006
    Pensacola, FL
    Try to use as much notation as can. BUt as I've learned your favorite artists might not have a notation book. Tabs just make you unfamiliar to reading notation.

7. BassChuck

BassChuck Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    +1

get off TAB ASAP

8. Willem

Willem

Dec 26, 2005
    Belgium
    why getting of tab? it's easy... it's a guideline.

9. Otso

Otso

Mar 6, 2006
    Finland
    Notation is the universal written language of music. Instead of having a different way to write music for every instrument (like tabs, which don't even show rhythm), why not just have one system that can be used for any instrument.

10. I have played in many musical situations over the years. No one has ever handed me a sheet with a part TAB'd out.

11. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    I kind of laugh at this subject sometimes - because I've felt so guilty about not learning to read any kind of music notation, and always learning everything by-ear. But learning by-ear like this has gotten easier and easier for me - to the point where I'm lately starting to hear a song somewhere, and just picture in my head the bass part on a fretboard.

Then I read about these guys who are 'hooked' on tabs like this... now THAT'd be bad!

I've definately gotten continuously better at hearing bass parts in a mix - of course what I hope I'm heading-for is being able to just 'play what I hear in my head', but I know that if I learned to read standard music notation, it'd help that too. I mean I can see how someone would get hooked on tabs, but I imagine that's not so-much the case with regular staff-music, because I gather it's set up in a way that has you picturing the intervals - as compared to tabs, which are more just 'where to put your finger'.

Joe

12. TAB and notation have to be approached in the manner that you should believe your ears and not what's written. Sure, there are a lot of crappy TABs out there, but don't assume that notation is always 100% correct. Some notation in songbooks is so off that you wonder if the person doing the transcription was tone deaf.

Paul Mac