1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Should I go ahead and order this Markbass combo?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by iamchipsmith, Jun 10, 2007.

1. Yes

27 vote(s)
    67.5%
  2. No

13 vote(s)
    32.5%
  1. iamchipsmith

iamchipsmith

Dec 15, 2006
    http://www.markbass.it/products.php?lingua=en&cat=3&vedi=41

I can afford it, but probably nothing too much more expensive, It sells for $800. Right now I've got a Fender Rumble 100 and a Hwy One Jazz. I want a bit more headroom in a more portable package. I want versatility and quality out of my amp. I'll be at college next fall and hooefully will be in an active band there also. I'm also pretty small so the wight is a huge plus. I plan on buying an extension cab in the future. The main problem is I don't really have an opportunitty to try one before I buy one because the closest place that carries them is several hours away. So what are you're opinions?

2. Dragonlord

Dragonlord Rocks Around The Glocks

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    I have tried their tilt-back 210 and it was very, very nice. I would easily recommend that. No idea about this 112...

3. 64jazzbass

64jazzbass

Sep 5, 2002
    Chicago, Il
    It's an amazing little amp. Plenty of volume and punchy, fast, clean tone, and yes, within reason it can be used for small gigs or rehearsals with no problems.

4. PB+J

PB+J

Mar 9, 2000
    arlington va
    I have one and use for all sorts of gigs--I use it with upright by itlself and for louder electric gigs add another cab. A 500 watt 2x12 is a pretty loud amp...

5. Dragonlord

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    OK, I can't find a US pricelist, but in Europe it's around 1000 for the 112 vs. 1200 for the 210... if you can go a little higher in price and don't mind the slightly bigger size, I would seriously suggest the 210. It should be significantly better for practice and gigs.

6. iamchipsmith

iamchipsmith

Dec 15, 2006
    well thatd be an over $200 USD increase. Which is a lot for me. Plus I don't like much high end, so correct me if I'm wrong, but bigger speakers will suit me better. True?

Plus if I were to spend $1000 I think I'd buy the LMK II and a $400 cab.

7. Dragonlord

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    That will probably be a $200 increase, maybe even less, as Markbass has more aggressive pricing in the States (it's a bigger market... markbass stuff is cheaper in the US than in Italy where it's made!). Also, I wouldn't be surprised if the 210 had more low end than the 112 you're looking at, as it has more internal volume. The one I tried was impressive low-end-wise for a 210 anyway. Dunno, others who have tried both will give a better answer, but my 2 cents is that you shouldn't count it out, as it might cost a little more but might also save you from buying a second cab later... ask for the price anyway to see what the difference is.

8. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    I tried the 2x10 and the 1x12 with a 5-string and felt the 1x12 had more "depth" in the low end. I bought the 1x12 and love it.

9. Dragonlord

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    Cool! Is it the Mini CMD 121P or the bigger CMD 121H though?

10. Kael

Kael

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    No you shouldn't. At least not until you can play through one first to determine whether or not it floats your boat.

11. iamchipsmith

iamchipsmith

Dec 15, 2006
    well see thats the thing I want to play one but as I mentioned its quite a hike to go to a place to play one. I'm thinking if I buy it and don't like it I can sell it for nearly as much, they sell for nearly their new price, or maybe even just return it. Is this a good plan?

12. PSPookie

PSPookie Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2006
    Lubbock, TX
    I saw one of those in GC yesterday. It was tiny.

13. Psychicpet

Psychicpet Guest

Mar 13, 2004
    Friend and Endorsee of Larry
    I'm going to be posting a review of the amp on OVRDRVN.com's profile on YouTube by next week-end... it's a nutty little combo man, definitely put the Rumble on it's butt AND, you can save up for an extension cabinet as well if you reeeeeally need more oomph.

14. I only heard positive things about this small monster, so I would say 'Go for it!'

15. Nikoubis

Nikoubis

May 3, 2007
    Athens, Greece
    12's are nice. The MB tone may not be for you tho. You really should try it before deciding.

16. PB+J

PB+J

Mar 9, 2000
    arlington va
    Here's some more detailed opinions. For me, using it with double bass and a dingwall five, the mini CMD 112 has a distinctive sound--it's very warm, with no "crispy airy" high end and no mid cut. It doesn't sound "hi fi" to me, it sounds more "old school". A lot of bass amps seem to hype the high end a little, for "clarity," and scoop the mids out so they seem to have a lot of bass. I hear the mini CMD as "flatter" and "fatter," which I like. It's light and surprisingly loud; it works especially well with electric bass but I've used it on dozens of upright bass gigs and it's been great. It's a relief to me to get away from amps that have too much high end. The mini CMD actually reminds me a lot of my old Apeg B-15, in that it's very midrange present.

The two tone shaping filters are very effective, and well voiced--Like a lot of people say, I often leave the tone controls flat and just tweak the two filters a little. With upright bass I usually want to cut the bass a little or it sounds boomy.

I don't think you can go wrong with the thing. It's small, portable, powerful. You will probably want an extension cabs for louder gigs, maybe a second 12.

17. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    The only way you're going to know if you like it is to go play it.

18. iamchipsmith

iamchipsmith

Dec 15, 2006
    So I think I'm just gonna go ahead and buy it. Any last remarks?

19. I voted NO... but then read below(above) how U CAN add onther cab to it. So I'd now say YES !!!! I own a LMII & primarily use IT thru my AGui;lar GS112-sounds great!!! But IMHO/IME a single 12" aint gonna get U a LOTTA Vol/ depth.... but adding another WILL!!!!! Go 4 it! & if U need later add a single 12" cab.

20. atrapp

atrapp

Dec 4, 2006
    Portland, OR
    Mesa Boogie Walkabout Scout. Tried and true combo, from a time tested US company.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 18, 2021