Should I go Big, or Not So Big?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MagicianMan, Sep 17, 2006.

1. Mesa Boogie w/ the Eden 410xlt (both used)

13 vote(s)
    72.2%
  2. Eden Nemesis na650 w/ the Eden 210xlt (both new)

3 vote(s)
    16.7%
  3. Other Combos?

2 vote(s)
    11.1%
  1. MagicianMan

MagicianMan

Aug 2, 2006
    Vermont
    So here's my dilemma. I went to try out some amps today, looking to go bigger than my current 100 watt combo. At one store was a Eden Nemesis that I played through an Eden 210XLT8. That sounded absolutely fantastic.

Next, I went to another store and played through some other brands, but wound up loving a beastly Mesa Boogie 400+ through a used Eden 410XLT. Again, the tone was just crazy.

Now, what I want in an amp is something that I can haul downstairs to my band's practice spaces, so its gotta go down steps. I also need the amp to have a good, punchy rock tone that will cut through with slap and whatnot. The volume isn't going to be insane at any future venues. I can get the two different setups described above for about the same price.

I'm young, do you guys think I could handle the weight of the Mesa/Eden or should I go lighter with all Eden?

(My main bass is a SR4 and my other is a P/J.)

2. I'd go for the Mesa. I slap/pop on it and it does great. It is a very versitle head. For a tube head, its also pretty light. Often I gig with the 400+ and a Bergie HT-210, and it gets the job done very nicely. If you are looking for something smaller, you may want to use the 400+ with the 210 XLT rather than the 410 though.

3. MagicianMan

MagicianMan

Aug 2, 2006
    Vermont
    That was what I was thinking might be a good compromise. Thanks

4. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

I voted for the Mesa. I had one recently. Nothing beat it except for my Aggie DB750. Aside from the Aggie, the Mesa blew every away other head I had in the past!

5. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    I think 210s or 112s grouped together should be good. you shouldn't have to carry more than a 25Lb amp to get enough power and tone.

Eden amps, the gold ones, are great! there are a number of great 112 and 210 companies to choose from, keep looking if you're not sure of what you want.

6. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Forgot to mentioned I also owned a NA650 (many months ago). Great sounding head, but it ain't no 400+ tone-wise!

7. Sufenta

Sufenta Trudging The Happy Road of Destiny

Mar 14, 2002
    The Signpost Up Ahead.
    I've played my Berg HT/EX at several oustide gigs and gotten PLENTY of volume w/o the mains. Big is OK if someone else is moving it.