Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Should I go Demeter or stay with Avalon?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Yamarc, Jan 15, 2003.

1. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Northville, MI
    I am getting a Modulus Flea 5 with passive villex pups. I currently have an Avalon U5 as my primary preamp, I use the active 3 band bart system on my Q5 for tone control. Should I stick with the avalon or go with Demeter for more control over my tone? Should I go with the VTBP or the HPB? Remember, I will have passive electronics! I think I am leaning towards the VTBP unless enough people tell me to stick with the Avalon. I do love the U5's tone and depth, but can't afford more than one pre/di right now. Let me know what you think. Thanks, Marc

2. I like the Avalon better than anything else. Oh yeah.

3. bben

bben

Feb 28, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    I use an Avalon U5 as my preamp, not as much tone control as some of the others, but enough for me, and the sound quality is hard to beat.

4. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    If your thinking of selling the U5, give me a holler...:)

5. I have nothing against the Demeter, however, if EQ is your only worry why not add a good EQ to your signal chain? I use a Alembic F1-X and it is a little light in the EQ as well. I added a Rane PE 17 and use it when I need more EQ. It works for me....:D
    http://rane.com/pe17.html

6. Fishface

Fishface

Jul 26, 2002
    Denver, Colorado
    I'll second that. A decent eq should have bypass as well. If you don't need any eq just bypass it. If you need some, put it in.
    You don't need to give up the tone you love if you just want an eq.

7. Mario Lewis

Mario Lewis

Jul 6, 2001
    Clinton, MD
    I want a U5!! And for that extra tone control that you desire, I recommend either an ART Tube EQ or the Raven Labs True Blue EQ . I get teary eyed just thinking about it.

The Alembic SF2 Super Filter (if you take the time to learn how it works) might help as well, but would be the more costly option.

Don't know how you feel about rack appeal, but both the ART and the True Blue will need a shelf as they aren't "full rack space" units.

8. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Northville, MI
    I don't think I'll be selling the Avalon anytime soon, but I've heard good things about the VTBP-201S. Jensen transformer, nice audiophile tone, passive tone controls. I think this ma be the way to go. Does anyone NOT like Demeter? Why? Thanks, Marc

9. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    me!

I had the Demeter but got rid of it in favor of an Aguilar DB680. Granted, there's a cost difference, but I didn't care for the complete unalterable transparency of the Demeter. I prefer a thicker, meatier tone.

But truly, the Demeter is an AMAZING piece of equipment, especially the 1.5 space model.

10. VicDamone

VicDamone

Jun 25, 2000
    Ditto GreyBeard. Check out the Raven-Labs True Blue EQ. The class A power supply in your U/5 can be equaled only by MUCH more expensive preamps.

Don't sell the Avalon!

11. Classic5

Classic5

Mar 31, 2002
    Australia
    I'm using the Demeter HBP-1. Great with my passive bass, the parametric eq does add to the tonal variations available.

12. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    hmm...

to me, the Avalon's all about unprocessed, straightup "your" bass. if you like that, then its the BEST for it. and all else would prolly pale.

but, if you want a hifi tone voiced specially for bass that refines the tried and true tube tone rather than make it muddy or dark, then the Dem's for you.

besides, i love how the Dem's b-boost literally adds "girth", while its brite boost adds definition, rather than hiss or useless airyness. but yea, the EQ knobs are useless to me. now if Jim can only figure out a way to fuse the HBP and VTBP in one. :(

13. Joker
    When you say Bass boost are you referring to your 201S? I have a bright boost but no bass boost, unless your referring to the choice between 60hz and 120hz button. If so I mostly keep mine the the 60hz, the 120hz is punchier and more grind.

14. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    exactamundo!

i love hittin' my LowB with the 60hz option. soooo nice. :cool:

15. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Northville, MI
    I guess what I appreciate the most about the U5 is how deep it will get for my B. Apparently, the Demeter will go just as low? Joker? Do you also find that the Demeter's tone to be fairly versatile? what I mean is: will it handle a modern hifi tone and also an fatter Ampeg type tone? Phil at Demeter described the 120/60 hz switch as the difference between SWR/Ampeg type sounds. Is thie true? EQ is not that big of a deal, the passive controls should work fine, just looking for the ability to switch between two sounds. Thanks, Marc

16. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    yea,

i guess i can hear that. but IMHO, its not an Ampeg at all. that deep switch will give your 4 stringers a HUGE low end feel, but its NOT gonna turn into an SVT. the Demeter can only do so much.

your Low B wont have any probs with the Demeter, and you'll love it, i know. BUT, my only concern is that after being sooooo used to the "direct feed" like feel of the Avalon, everything might seem second rate. :(

btw, what cabs are you running your rig into? IMHO, Demeter preamps and Epifani &/or Bergantino cabs, go together like bread and butter, PB&J, milk & cookies...

dang, i'm gettin' hungry... :D

17. marc40a

marc40a

Mar 20, 2002
    Boston MA
    >>Phil at Demeter described the 120/60 hz switch as the difference between SWR/Ampeg type sounds. Is thie true? <<

Although I've never heard the difference described like that before, yes I totally agree. That's a good call.

18. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Northville, MI
    Joker, I am currently usind an Aguilar GS115 but will soon upgrade to two GS112's instead. I think that the warm hifi tone of the Aguilar cabs suit my quest for tone quite well.

19. marc40a

marc40a

Mar 20, 2002
    Boston MA
    My guess is that the Avalon is more accurate/uncolored sounding.

I've been using the Demeter for 4 years and I'm a big fan but I do have to mention that it does add it's own flavor to the sound. It's a sweet flavor, to be sure but at the end of the day I think you're probably getting a more accurate sound from the Avalon.

I'd let your ears decide. It really depends what you want for 'your' sound.

I'm not so sure about the justification of selling because you've got too much $$ tied up in it. If you bought new and are thinking about selling you're out a couple hundred bucks from the getgo.

If you bought used and are thinking about selling used then that's a different story...you can probably sell for what you got it for.

20. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Northville, MI
    I think I will like the Demeter if it can go from hifi to tubey warm and back again, maybe also a combo of the both for the ultimate tone. I have also been considering the Mindprint Envoice preamp it has blendable tube saturation and compressor in it. Hmmm....