Should I go for a Lightwave?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Peter McFerrin, Jan 12, 2004.

1. I am thinking about trading my FBB fretless for a Sabre C fretless fiver (I'm more of a five-string guy); at least for the next few years, I'd only be using it for demos and low-volume jazz/singer-songwriter gigs. It's my understanding that these things are whisper-quiet for recording. Would this be a good idea?
  2. Matt R Miller

Matt R Miller

Apr 27, 2003
    cant you get one on ebay for ~$400? then again im probably thinking of the wrong model
  3. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    If you do, don't go for the cheap-o demos found on EBay... Look into Zon or something slightly more consistent, which I am sure you plan to with the amount you can potentially get for your FBB. I think once the initial pangs of love and wonder wore off with most of the cheap-o buyers, they went back up on the trading block. The one I received (cheap-o) had serious action issues and the output of the B and E was deplorable. So much for true fundamental at the output of the bass... :meh: I'd strongly recommend you try before you buy even with the bigger name LW's. ;)
  4. Well, I'd say that the FBB fretless I have is worth $650 or so, so maybe I'll hang on to it a while longer and buy a Lightwave a few years from now. I sure hope they can get affordable LW basses that don't suck by the time that I can afford to have a stable of instruments.
  5. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Matt offers lightwaves... maybe you could get a conversion to a lightwave on the freltess you have?
  6. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    Hmmm... I thought that it would go for slightly more ($800-ish on the bay) but I don't see alot of them on the used market either, so I could be wrong as always. And if you can afford a stable of instruments, you won't mind paying for a real LW. :p ;)