Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Should I go for Combo or Stack?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Dave44, Jun 6, 2002.

1. Thinking of buying a Eden cxc1015 thats a combo amp with a 1X10 and a 1X15 cab for about 2000 Canadian, or should I go with an Eden Time Traveller 400W with a 2x10 cab and add a 1x15 later in the year?

Thanx Mo.

2. craigers2

craigers2

Sep 26, 2001
    Cleveland
    if you are going to be carrying it around a lot, i'd go with the seperate head/cab, rather than the combo.

3. Combos used to be considered "practice amps" and the stacks (heads and cabs) as "gigging amps". But times change... many combos are much more powerful and many heads/cabs much more transportable.

If I were you I'd go with a seperate head and cab.

4. Separate head and cab. More flexibility if your taste/needs change later.

5. The head and cabinet will give you more options in the future. If your taste in tone changes, you can change out heads or cabinets, add or remove cabinets, etc. If you have your combo, that's what you get (you can sometimes add another cabinet). However, if you are playing the combo at your gigs, you aren't going to forget important things like power cords or speaker cables. If you're good at remembering those things, though, I'd say head/cab all the way :D