should i go fretless??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Julien, Jun 15, 2002.

1. Julien

Dec 29, 2001
    here i am:i've been playing for one year and a half..i've got a MIM Jazz deluxe fretted...o don't know theory.....
    but i want to discover new soundscapes....i would like to know if to play fretless you have to have more experience or more skills or to know theory??

2. VicDamone

Jun 25, 2000
    Well...yes and no. Yes, because it always helps to have more of those things you mentioned. Practice and work is a life long adventure of you-by you.

No, because an ability to play fretless is simply an expansion of your own experience. You are responsible for one more task when playing fretless and that's intonation. Playing more open strings in your phrasing, jamming with other fixed tone instruments, and playing along with recorded music will help develope your intonation.

I would suggest you keep your fretted bass.
  3. Julien,
    For the most part I have to agree with Vic.

Really wether you play fretted, fretless, upright, really expensive basses or pawn shop cheapies has no bearing on your ability to play.

I for one, since moving to fretless would never consider going back. I urge every bass player to "take the fence out of the yard". But it does require a substaintial effort on your part. You have to want to play fretless and be willing to put in the WORK!!!

It is not going to magically make you a better player or increase the colors in your tonal palette unless you give it the time it requires.

I couldn't say it better myself. I would reccomend you start learning theory, though. But most of all play with as many different people, and as many different styles as possible. Music and the bass are a life long journey and the joy is in the discovery.

Good luck